Wednesday, January 28, 2009

When the Rain's Inside

As an author of poetry I leave much to be desired. As Patricial once said to Michelle while they sat at the table with a boy they both wanted (and Michelle was winning), "You could fill a library with what you don't know about theatre." (We were talking about theatre and Michelle made the unfortunate comment that she didn't know much about it.)

Well, they have filled libraries with what I don't know about poetry. I've visited other blogs beyond my normal rounds lately, and I have come across some fantastic poetry. Wish I could write like that. But I can't. Don't.

Even so, I am treating you to one of my poems. This is not actually a recent creation. The truth is, I don't know how old it is. It's the kind of poem I could have written on many occasions. Today would be one of them. I made a couple of minor adjustments. Originally, the poem ended with references to Jesus. I took those out in respect of others. I mention them here in respect of my Lord.

Sadness Revealed

Daylight departs and night darkness begins
The sorrows of a heart beset by its sins
Its weariness to sin and depressing to cry
And a heart left in darkness is doomed but to die

Where is the Light at the end of the line
Where is the Light to close out my time
What happened to joy and what happened to smiles
The darkness will last – but only a while

We error we run and we muddle about
We cry in our darkness and loudly we shout
Like a child done wrong we go running to dad
We never knew all the good that we had

For wisdom was dull and obedience no fun
And so on our own we do roam and we run
But to obey and be wise is better than games
Together they work to keep us from shame

Thanks be for forgiveness and renewal of hearts
Every day that I’m here is a chance to restart
The lessons of life can be hard and be sad
But God always forgives and turns sadness to glad

Bevie James

6 comments:

Ms Sparrow said...

You have some good lines in your poem--definitely indicating talent.
I have a quote from Sylvia Plath that I printed out and posted by my computer: "The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt." So when you doubt yourself, attack the "enemy" head on!

Bevie said...

Thank You.

It's that fear of being judged, isn't it?

jaz said...

Bevie, I can really feel your sadness in this poem and I hope that the feelings that caused you to share it yesterday have passed.

Also, never forget that this is your art--and, if we should take the good from Mr. Updike, what you put on the page is you-- and I really hope you didn't leave out Jesus on my behalf! A new friend had me over around Christmas time and we were going to sit in her living room to talk and she had a Christmas tree up. She actually asked me if I minded sitting in there. God, no! I do not want to be the person anyone tip toes around--well, I don't want you to call me names or anything. :) But your sincere worship of your religion is as precious as anyone else's and should cause no offense to someone of a different faith.

You may or may not know that Muslims believe in Jesus' virgin birth to Mary and his miracles. The difference is the divinity; Muslims consider him a prophet like Abraham and Moses and Muhammad. But many of the Old Testament stories are found in Islam and the names of the Old Test. prophets are some of the most common Muslim names, although often the Arabic form: Abraham is Ibrihim, etc.

Anyway, just wanted to say I liked your poem, I hope you are feeling, and for what it's worth, my preference is that you express yourself however you feel moved to do so!

Bevie said...

"But your sincere worship of your religion is as precious as anyone else's"

You do know how to make me cry, don't you?

Thank you, for your kind words. Yes, I am feeling better today than yesterday. The situation hasn't changed dramatically, but my appreciation of it has. I expect things will work out. They often do.

Yeah, I took the coward's approach, which is shameful considering the topic. As cowardly as I am, I am still surprised I did that. But that's what sadness does. It saps strength, which lifts up courage. Without that strength, courage falters. At least I gave him a mention and didn't leave him out entirely. That would have been awful.

What's interesting is that I just reread the poem as I originally wrote it. I actually prefer the new version, for it references forgiveness. The original did not.

Linda McGeary said...

Poetry as an art form and one of deep self expression, is always going to be personal.

It is the distillation of emotion. At the same time if we poets can give it a universal message that can move another human being through a similar experience, then that is the blessing, both given and received.

Keep dancing with the muse of inspiration, and you will just keep giving, more and more.

Thanks

Bevie said...

Thanks, Linda.