Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Assignment: Poe

Evil Editor has put out a new writing exercise. In honor of Edgar Allen Poe's 200th birthday anniversary, write (in 400 words or less) a short story in the Poe style.

As I told a friend of mine, it's been a while since I've read anything from Poe, so I may have to refresh myself on the style. I'm planning on making a submission, though I'm not planning on it being one of the best.

FairyHedgeHog has gone a writing proposal going, too. She calls it "Rabbit Hole Day". Actually, she didn't coin the phrase. I don't know who did. She posted a link to a blog in which the rules are spelled out.

"Let's have a day where nobody's life makes sense anymore, where any random LJ you click on will bring you some strange new tale. Let's all fall down the Rabbit Hole for 24 hours and see what's there. It will be beautiful."

I'm not sure was an "LJ" is, but FairyHedgeHog said to just replace "LJ" with "blog" and you'll be fine.

I'm going to give that one a go, too, only I'll probably do it on The Great Sea.

8 comments:

Steve Stubbs said...

Wow, what a coincidence. I was going to post a pre-publicatiom version of Poe's poem The Raven on my blog (hitherto unknown to Poe scholars but recently discovered by me if you believe that) in which the banging on the door is not a raven but Poe's landlord. Writing does not pay that well, you know. I have been reluctant to post it because I may soon meet the same fate and it might not be well to have that on my blog in that case. I guess I will just leave it to the Poe scholars.

Bevie said...

Oh, Steve. You have to submit to Evil Editor and the Minions.

jaz said...

I'm glad you're trying these things! I'll look forward to reading your take on Poe over on Evil Editor's site.

Bevie said...

Thanks, Jennifer. Although I doubt I can truly write like Poe, I can be macabe.

Are you going to give it a go?

Ms Sparrow said...

I can't even write in my OWN style much less somebody else's. As for writing my way out of the bottom of a hole, it would only be a metaphor for fighting depression--and who wants to read that!?
Ms Sparrow

Bevie said...

I have no delusions about succeeding in adapting Poe's style. For me, it's a chance to have fun. Probably even poke fun.

My thinking on "Rabbit Hole Day" is it's a chance to act like a four-year-old and not get locked up in an asylum for it.

Give it a go. I've read some of your postings. You have a nice writing style.

jaz said...

Hi again,

No, I don't plan to participate in the Poe exercise. I took enough time away from things with the other contest last week. But I think it will be fun to read them. I haven't read the exercises in awhile, but Poe is a good one.

Bevie said...

Yes. I was exchanging comments with FairyHedgeHog about this.

I'm glad Evil Editor has weekly exercises, but I'm also glad we aren't required to participate in every one. I haven't for a while because I didn't feel I had anything to contribute.

This time I do. Can't speak for next week.

Take care.