Saturday, January 31, 2009

A Short Collection

I've started going through the Archives, searching for papers which can be tossed. It's time to start packing. Came across some poems. These are reasonably recent - within the year. They all tend toward "darker" moods, so if you're not in the mood yourself you might just want to skip today's post.

The first lacks true meter. It's less of a poem and more just a couple of sentences.

LOSS

Acknowledging loss may hurt
worse than suffering loss
So it seems to me right now
The peace of death blows soft and slow

Yet can loss occur when nothing existed
Can nothing be taken away
To have believed awhile that love was mine
My heart, awhile, did shine


This second is actually less dark. One could even say bright.

A PLACE TO LIVE

If not a home then
. . . . . . A cave so cold
. . . . . . A place together
. . . . . . We’ll grow old
If not a cave
. . . . . . I’ll take whatever
. . . . . . For my love for you
. . . . . . Will never sever
Just be with me
. . . . . . Through day and night
. . . . . . I’ll be with you
. . . . . . You are my light


This last is just another variation of a poem I have written many times.

VALLEY OF SORROWS

In the Valley of the Sorrows there are tears I have not wept.
They are for my sad remembrance of pain that I have kept.
To be despised is one thing. To be hated is another.
When the two join together it is really quite a bother.

The future is a place that I am destined once to go.
Whatever shall I find there? When I get there I will know.
The future hides beyond the river’s winding, twisting, bends.
And there I’m doomed to go for the current there it sends.

The future may be bright and cherry or as dark as deepest night.
Although I want the former I can never make things right.
The truth should be more friendly but often it seems cruel.
For to speak the truth aloud is when I play the fool.

I’m beaten, sad, and lonely, and my health is fading fast.
But the truth I still will cling to even when I breathe my last.
I once strongly though I’d be here when the Lord comes back one day.
Now I’m just a piles of pieces. And where I’ll be I cannot say.

8 comments:

jaz said...

Hi Bevie, I noticed at the top of this that you said you are packing and I remember a much earlier post about a frustrating call with the bank, so I just wanted to make sure everything is okay. And feel free to tell me to myob.

Jennifer

Bevie said...

I'll not clutter up your blog with my stuff, Jennifer. Thanks for the invite, though.

Yeah, I suppose things are all right. We've been notified that we will soon be notified that we have to leave. Going through stuff is a pain. We've not much furniture left, but my Archives take up several large boxes. And my library is spread all over the house. Son's, too. A lot of stuff to pack and find a place for.

Spent four days going through one box. That's how I found some of the poems. I've written some new ones, too. And a couple of short stories. Whatever.

jaz said...

Bevie, I am really sorry. Truly. Your courage shines through in all of your posts, much as you don't see it that way sometimes. So remember that.

(By the way, you are always welcome to post anything on my blog but the myob meant was short hand for feel free to tell me to mind my own business. I didn't want to pry or make you feel like you had to answer my question. I was just concerned.)

Bevie said...

Oh. I have trouble with the acronyms. I try not to use them for fear of using them wrong. Half the time when others use them I haven't a clue what they're talking about.

I thought "myob" meant "My Own Blog". [chagrined]

Maybe I have couarge. Maybe not. Don't really know. I do know it doesn't take a whole lot of courage to fail. And considering all I was given at birth I'm not exactly convinced God is all that pleased with the return on his investment.

jaz said...

You should not be chagrined--I was chagrined that you thought I meant air your personal business on my blog!

I'm certainly no expert, but I think God cares more about kindness and decency than all the other noise we concern ourselves with.

Bevie said...

"God cares more about kindness and decency"

Yes. That is true. Sometimes it's hard to think that way. Especially when one can look back as long as I can without seeing the evidence of kindness and decency in action.

Don't mind me. I'm just tired. That's all. I expect I'll perk up again in a day or two.

jaz said...

Keep your head up, Bevie. Take one thing at a time. Sometimes you just have to put one foot in front of the other for a bit.

Bevie said...

Thanks, Jennifer.

Sometimes it's slow walking.