Thursday, January 22, 2009

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

A number of years ago Spouse and I kept horses at Spouse's brother's hobby farm. They gave us cheap rates, and in exchange we would help out with chores and other work. As Spouse's work schedule differed from mine, I was the lucky one to be there during milking, feeding and hay baling. Which was fine. It was fun to be there around the animals.

I like animals. Most of them anyway. Not so keen on hogs.

There was a day I was in the barn cleaning out horse stalls when I heard the distressed cry of a cat. Never eager to see any animal in pain I began a search for the source. It was hard to place, for the sound echoed. Eventually, I worked my way to the back of the barn where I came upon the silo. The echo was in there.

The silo had not been used in years, and like many such things, became an accumulator of various pieces of debris. I stood in the narrow opening, searching with my eyes for any sign of movement. There was none. I would have to go inside.

No sooner had I done so than the crying stopped. Oh, no! I crushed it. I knelt down to pick up the piece I had stepped on and the crying returned. But it wasn't from below. Slowly, I looked up.

There, at least forty feet above me, and perhaps more, was tiny little kitten - sitting on the silo roof and crying to get down.

How did you get up there? I cried.

Before I continue, let me segue and inform you that I am absolutely terrified of heights. I don't like climbing ladders to the garage eaves. So the thought of climbing forty or more feet straight up in the air was not one I entertained. I started to leave.

But kitty had seen me, and kitty could also see I was leaving. The mews became more frantic. The plaintiff cries worked into my being and stopped me dead in my tracks. Without even realizing what I was doing I began the arduous climb up to get the cat.

Arriving at the top I found getting the cat to come to me was not just a matter of asking. Neither was reaching out and grabbing it easy. That meant letting go with one hand. And of course the stupid cat was so afraid it tried to stay where it was. I got it and cradled it in one hand while pressing myself to the silo ladder. Now who was going to save me?

I needed both hands to descend, so I managed to undo the top of my shirt and drop the cat inside. Then down I came. When I reached bottom I let the cat go.

Do you think I got any thanks? Do you think the cat would remember me later? No. In fact the stupid thing managed to climb up there again a couple of weeks later and I had to repeat the process all over again. Some things are not easier the second time.

Cats.

3 comments:

jaz said...

Great story. (And great title--one of my favorite plays!)

Cats are difficult but they have moments of deep loyalty that will keep you coming back. I had a cat when I lived alone in NYC right after law school and when I left in the morning she would watch me go, and when I returned, she was always sleeping right in front of the apartment door. In all the narcissism of a 27 year old lawyer, I thought maybe she stayed there all day, lost without me, but she probably just figured out a range of time within which I would be home. :)

Ms Sparrow said...

What a hero! How did the kitty get itself way up there? Anyway, don't be too hard on the poor thing. I know plenty of adults who don't learn from their mistakes.
Sparrow

Bevie said...

Thanks.

I wasn't sure how happy I was with this post. I had intended to write about the horses, complete with pictures. But I can't find the pictures! Aaarrrggghh!

So I put this together instead.

Cats do figure out general time. Now that I'm home during the day I can see it in our cat. He knows when it's time for me to go get my son from school.

How did the cat get up there?

I actually saw her making the attempt once. This silo had a full piece of stone work to make up the ladder, so each step was approximately two or three inches wide. The cat would jump to one, position itself, then jump up and grab the next step. It would pull itself up and do it all the way to the top.

My brother-in-law, who really wasn't keen on cats anyway, said that the silly thing got itself caught up there when I wasn't around to bring it down. He just left it. After a day or two the cat came down on its own. Probably using the same method (in reverse) as it did going up.

Not such a hero after all, huh?