Saturday, January 17, 2009

Weedhopper

Remember the old David Carradine show, Kung Fu? It was Stephen's favorite show. Remember he was into Taoism at the time and took the show very seriously. I used to sit with him and watch it - religiously. The show began with Master Poh holding a pebble in his hand and saying to Kwai Chang: As quickly as you can. Snatch the pebble from my hand. Kwai Chang would try, but Master Poh would close his hand and protect the pebble. He would follow up with, When you can snatch the pebble, it will be time for you to leave.

He used to tease me with phrases from the show. One thing he did was call me "Weedhopper". (Kwai Chang was called "Grasshopper" by one of the masters.) The problem was he wasn't quick with words. I was. At least then. So I would end up playing the part of Master Poh, spouting off silly phrases of pretended wisdom. Sometimes I could actually make him laugh.

One evening he was at my house, entertaining my sisters. He wasn't always quick with words, but when others were around he could launch merciless verbal assaults. Anything for a laugh. And Helvie, Lynahr and Judayl were laughing. At me.

Normally, I didn't mind. But Stephen wasn't alone. My family were masters at humiliation, so to have Stephen and my sisters cooperating was too much. I bent over and picked up a toy, holding it in my hand like Master Poh.

As quickly as you can, snatch the toy from my hand.

Stephen loved this game. He could never do it, but he often came close. He set himself. Then his hand darted out for the toy. I never tried to stop him. Suddenly, everyone was laughing at him. He played it well, too. He had me begging him to stay. But it was late and he went home anyway.

We used to have a lot of fun - at each other's expense. Isn't that what friends are for?

No comments: