Thursday, January 8, 2009


FairyHedgeHog asked me to post pictures of my Firestar after I commented on the picture of Rufus on her blog. Unfortunately, my digital camera and my computer are having some kind of argument and refuse to talk to each other as regards photographs. (I can download video to Windows Movie Maker, but I don't know how to do the stills off the digital card.)

Every cat I have ever owned has been different, and Firestar is no exception. He's different. Ha!

For instance, he's the first cat I've known to play Red-Light-Green-Light*. Shortly after we brought him home I happened to be on the bed watching a movie when Spouse nudged me and pointed to Firestar. He was staring at me. So what I did was lift the blanket and peer over the top. His eyes kind of dilated and he looked really worried. So I ducked down and back up. He had inched closer. I kept doing that and he kept inching closer, stopping every time I resurfaced until he was close enough to pounce. He would slap my face (yes, Firestar uses his front paws to box) and run off, ready to repeat the game again.

He used play the game a lot, until he tired of it. But this morning he played it again. I think he knew I was feeling down and wanted to cheer me up. Animals will do that - if they like you well enough.

Firestar also used to play Fetch. Son would toss a furry little mouse toy and Firestar would chase after it, even catching it in the air sometimes. Then he would bring it back and give it to Son to throw again.

At night he tries to go to everyone and spend a little time sleeping by their head. Usually, he saves me for last, so when I get up in the middle of the night (several times a week) he will come down to the computer and let me know I have not been forgotten.

What a caring cat!

He's also the one who bit me on the nose (causing a significant amount of bleeding) because I picked him up and laughed in his face when he did something silly. First he hit me. Then he hit me again. When I only laughed harder he bit. He doesn't talk, but I knew what he was thinking. "You still think it's funny, Giggles?"

He's a cool cat.

*Red-Light-Green-Light was a game we used to play as children. One person is "it" and stands at one end of the yard. Everyone else stands at the other other end in a line. Whoever is "it" then turns away from the others and shouts, "Green Light!". The others are now free to race toward the finish line (where "it" is standing). "It" then turns around and shouts, "Red Light!" If "it" catches you moving forward you are sent back to the beginning. The winner is the first person to touch "it" on their back without being seen doing it.

2 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

He sounds like a great cat.

Bevie said...

He's fun. Most of the time.

He takes no sass, though. I considered buy him boxing gloves for Christmas.