Tuesday, January 6, 2009

When a Blog Goes Silent

Sorry, but I just have to write this. It's tearing at me and I have to get it out. Don't worry, though. I will post something better later in the day (assuming I don't get pulled away).

A few days ago (it feels like it's been weeks) I went on a search of new blogs. I think I was searching for someone who's posts reminded me of myself. My approach was to walk out in the middle of the night, close my eyes, and shoot my little foam rubber arrows out until I heard a noise.

I found someone.

Their blog looked to have been inactive for at least two weeks. That didn't concern me. Some of the blogs I visit regularly skip days between posts. But this one had been active before going quiet.

I was about to bail out, my eyes still scanning their last post, when my attention was caught by a single sentence: "IN my life, I’m sad, disappointed, hurt.. whatever." I returned to the post (I had already clicked to return to my dashboard) and read it in its entirety. It made me nervous. There were six comments and I checked those out. All six people appeared to be good friends and were wishing Merry Christmas and promising future contact - some of it implied as face-to-face or with a telephone.

Still bothered, I went to the profile page where I found the blogger in question had posted 102 things about herself. I was going to bail again, but then I saw that our birthdays were only a day apart (and 19 years). I began to scan the list and was chilled to find I was matching on most of the answers to implied questions. So I copied the entire list to Excel and wrote my own answers to the same questions. I had a 62% match, which is a little misleading. My "negative" responses seemed to lack the intensity of the pain I felt from hers.

Suddenly, I felt an overwhelming desire to help/encourage this person. I get depressed (if you've read me at all this is no surprise, I'm sure), but this person seemed really depressed. I posted a comment and checked daily to see if there was a response.

None.

There was an Email contact and so I tried that.

Still nothing.

Now there is nothing more for me to do but continue to check daily in hopes that activity will suggest whatever the crisis was, it has either passed or become livable.

Why do I care? This isn't my daughter (although the consistency of matching responses almost suggests she could be). I don't even know who she really is. But now I'm left with this nagging sense of worry like what I get when Spouse is late coming home. Has there been an accident? A breakdown? When Spouse walks through the door with a smile, healthy and unharmed, I am relieved, annoyed and chagrined all at once. I'm hoping that's how this turns out. But I may never know. That's true, isn't it?

Why did I take that shot in the dark? I should have just stayed where I was, shouldn't I? What good have I accomplished? Now I'm worrying about someone who probably is just fine. How and why is it possible for me to do this?

I hate it when Blogs go silent.

4 comments:

Bev said...

Thank you very much for your concern, i have not vanished. Just a lot of craziness over the holidays. The post had little to do with quitting and more to do with someone not coming for Christmas.

I've been blogging for many years and sometimes it's just good to give it a rest for awhile. (:

Again, i thank you and hope i didnt worry you too much.

Take care.

Bev said...

Thank you very much for your concern, i have not vanished. Just a lot of craziness over the holidays. The post had little to do with quitting and more to do with someone not coming for Christmas.

I've been blogging for many years and sometimes it's just good to give it a rest for awhile. (:

Again, i thank you and hope i didnt worry you too much.

Take care.

jaz said...

Funny--your first comment in response to the critique of your query on EE's website made me think something similar about you. I was the one that said time out, is everything okay. And it was, so hopefully it is this time as well. Let us know.

Bevie said...

Thanks, Jennifer (oh, and I'm not trying to be sarcastic).

Yeah, I do tend toward the dramatic, don't I? I realize it can be annoying to others, but strong feelings need a way to get out - even if they make me look/sound/read like a looney sometimes. [sheepish smile]

Regarding this post, I am most happy to say that, unbeknownst to me, the blogger in question has been visiting my blog occassionally. By coincidence - today, in fact.

We have an overlap in personality. You would think that would make communications easier. I guess not.

She posted here to let me know I was overreacting (again). She is a long time blogger and occasionally takes breaks. I just happened to arrive during one.

I haven't published her post because after the way I described things, she may not be feeling wholly appreciative of the way she was described. So I posted on her blog asking how she wants me to proceed.

The important thing for me is that I know she is well. I, however, feel like a fool again. But I'm glad I posted what I did. I found out she's all right. [big smiles]