Monday, April 27, 2009

Weird Can Be Beautiful - Right

Had a short talk with a good friend this morning in which "dress up" was talked about. Nothing in depth. Just kind of 'mentioned in passing'.

I like playing dress up. Or, I should say, I like the idea of it. Don't actually do it. Don't have many clothes, and those I do have kind of all look the same. Not much fun dressing up to look the same.

If you scroll down a bit you'll see three pictures of me in various forms of dress which are unremarkably similar. That's pretty much how I dress all the time, although none of those particular articles of clothing remain. Pity about the top outfit. That was my favorite. It got washed so many times that it tore when I scratched an itch. But I generally wear sweat pants, or perhaps oversized tennis shorts (I'm still overweight), with a t-shirt and a polo shirt (sometimes) on top. My feet are usually bare.

I envy women, being able to walk into a store and see such a variety of things to wear. The variety in guy stuff seems to be more in color than style. What a pity we gave up the days when men got to wear frills, puffy sleaves, exotic hats, and things. Of course, I don't know that I want to shave my head and wear a puffy wig just to keep the lice away, either. But when men dressed like that they had to feel elegant and grand. Somewhere along the line somone decreed that men had to give up the cool outfits and dress boring.

When I was still in kindergarten my Aunt Cile (Lucille) stored her costume jewlery in a huge dresser my parents kept in our garage. My sisters and I were allowed to go into the garage and play dress up. At first I wasn't allowed to join in. Just wasn't done, you know. But I cried and Daddy said it didn't matter. He was probably embarassed to see me running around with giant earings on my ears, beaded necklaces around my neck, and some of Aunt Cile's blouses and gloves draping off my body, but he didn't seem worried about me. (Perhaps he should have been.) Now that I think of it, Daddy was quite progressive in his thinking.

I miss being able to dress up and look fine, and grand, and beautiful. Supposedly, (when I was much, much younger), I was something to see when I was "dressed to the hilts". I bought a three-piece suit back in the days when you were supposed to have to be important to wear one. Spent all my money to get it. Every once in a while I would wear it. Just because. I was in my early twenties. Still thin. Reasonably muscular. Wasn't married then, but I got Spouse's attention.

If I dressed like that now I'd probably look like another fat Wall-Street pig.

Can't really do dress up anymore, for a variety of reasons. Not for real. Not the way I would like. So I do it with imagination and stories. I create hero and villain characters with some on-line software and write stories about them. (See Legion of On-Line Super Heroes blog.) I use computer characters as alter egos and dress them up to be pretty, scary, sexy, monstrous, or whatever suits me. It's a different kind of theatre. (I need to start a community theatre. When I know what community I'll be living in perhaps I will.) I save the images to my hard drive to use in subsequent stories I will write.

I guess I'm kind of weird, aren't I? But you know what? I don't mind anymore. I'm finding I like me better when I admit the truth to myself.

I am weird! Hear me roar!

Now. Whatever did we do with those earrinngs and beaded necklaces?

8 comments:

Leilani Amorey said...

[i]I am weird! Hear me roar![/i]


Hehe...so that makes two of us ;) I like been *weird* and different...I would not like it any other way.

Bevie said...

You know, I didn't think about Frodo until the very end of this. Maybe I should get a Gandalf costume? I've always wanted to do that.

Leilani Amorey said...

Go for it! ;)

I decided that doing what I do makes me happy and I don't want to waste time in my life been not-happy...this is why I am on my special little quest that does involve some kind of dressing up (as you know). As long as what you do and wear makes you happy...that is all that matter...even if it's a Hobbit outfit like in my case or a Gandalf outfit for you :)

Bevie said...

I'll see what I can do, but I don't have any money right now.

fairyhedgehog said...

I used to play dressing up with my (male) cousins and we all used to squabble over who got the yellow lace ball gown with the wide skirt.

It tells you something that I still remember it now.

I usually wear black or dark blue elastic waisted trousers with various t-shirts and a fleecy jacket because that's comfortable. I love the look of women's shoes but not the feel of most of them so I mostly wear trainers.

There is a movement to make it acceptable again for men to wear skirts and I support that. Why should women have a choice when men don't?

Bevie said...

That's cool, Fairy. Dress up is so much fun. That's one reason I love the theatre. It's becoming other people. All pretend.

Comfort over style. I'm with you.

writtenwyrdd said...

Embrace your inner costumer! I imagine being a guy there's a lot of pressure against this sort of thing, but I've known plenty of guys who dress however they want. In San Francisco one of my friends used to shop for his shirts in the women's department because they were cooler. (And no he wasn't gay.) But it's a sight more difficult where you live!

Bevie said...

Yes. We Mee-Nee-Sew-Tans (Minnesotans) aren't always at the forefront of things. The Minneapolis-St Paul area has a large gay population. Still, I can't say I've seen that many guys dressing up.

I understand your friend completely. Women's tops are really cool.