Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Miscellaneous Rambling

I get to vent today. So what's new, you're asking yourself. Bevie's always venting about something. True. Only today I get to do it with permission. Wednesday is Venting Day on A Voice in the Wind.

So what am I going to vent about? A couple of things.

Just got back from taking Son to school. Stopped at the grocery store on the way home. We were completely out of milk, green grapes, apples, and Clementine oranges. I was nearly out of my wheat bread, too. (Son and Spouse eat white bread.) No asparagus, either.

So we get inside the store and green grapes are still on sale at a dollar a pound. Good price. But the asparagus has gone UP in price by 60%. So did the Clementines. The apples weren't so bad. They only went up 20%. But they're even more out of season today than they were four days ago. So why should I pay more for apples that are mushy and grainy? I hate mushy and grainy apples. Butter was up nearly 20%. So we left the produce and dairy section with two cartons of milk (price remained stable), some yogurt for Spouse (I hate yogurt), and some mozzereli cheese for the pizza Spouse and Son are going to have tonight while I eat a cheese sandwich and look on with saliva dripping from my mouth, one bag of Clementines and two pounds of green grapes. No apples. No asparagus.

What we find next is that one of my favorite Root Beers (Dads) is on sale, 60% OFF! So is Powerade, 25% OFF. Chips are down. Ice cream is down. Pre-popped popcorn is down. An entire fleet of snack product prices have fallen 25%-60% while the foods and drinks which are my new staples have increased by the same percentages. I swear there is someone monitoring what I purchase and adjusting things accordingly. Why else did they quit making my favorite spaghetti noodles? Why quit selling macaroni in the discount five pound box? What happened to Cream of Shrimp soup? Blueberry Pop Tarts WITH NO FRIKKIN' FROSTING? Life s*cks. So does losing weight. Well, actually it isn't the losing weight that s*cks. It's the losing weight. Right?

Just deleted a half hour's writing. Didn't like the turn I took. Maybe I am growing up at last. Not so sure that's a good thing. I like the idea of being young and silly. It's better just to be comfortable with who I am. Maybe that's what's going on and I'm not really growing up at all. That would be okay.

Do you want to read something really cool? Fairyhedgehog's Hero Story posted on The Legion of On-Line Super Heroes this morning. I've read it. It's cool. Give it a good read. Then bookmark the page and return to read the other posts. There are six now, with four more scheduled over the next eight days.

EDIT: Oh. And what the H*ll's up with these new dashboard icons: set up mobile posting and set up email posting? They pushed my blog titles over to the right and now Legion of On-Line Super Heroes take up two lines. Make the screen look odd.

9 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

It's so unfair that healthy food costs more.

Have you found things that you like that you can eat while the others have pizza etc? I'm only trying to avoid refined carbohydrate and not fat so much so it isn't so hard, and I do have the lapses.

I use xylitol instead of sugar when I need some sweetness - it's lower calorie, low GI and doesn't need insulin to process it. Sometimes I find it easy then other times it's very, very hard. Good luck and well done that you're doing it!

fairyhedgehog said...

Oh, and thanks for the plug.

Bevie said...

Thanks Fairy. You bet. It's a good story.

I'll have some fruit with my sandwiches (two). I'm trying to make lunch my "big" meal of the day. Yesterday I ate pasta fajioli. Today it's chicken wings with a baked potato (we have to eat them up or throw them away).

Thanks for the encouragement.

Ms Sparrow said...

Oh Bevie, how well I know the feeling that someone is secretly following you around the grocery store and then taking your favorites off the shelves. I swear it happens all the time!

When I was first diagnosed with diabetes, I went on a really strict diet of brown rice with steamed vegetables, V8 juice and lo-fat mozzerella cheese sticks.

I lost weight, but of course gained it all back, sigh.

You seem much more committed than I ever was. Hang in there!

Bevie said...

Thanks J. But it's too early to be giving me too many pats on the back. Let's see how I'm doing this fall.

fairyhedgehog said...

All you can do is take it one step at a time and you might as well be pleased with how you're coping at the moment even if it might get tougher later. You can't live later now!

Bevie said...

Good point. Yes. I have been mostly good for a week now. I (barely) resisted the invitation to eat extra pizza last night. My reward was a lower Trend Weight this morning. Which reminds me, I need to get to the treadmill. Skipped my morning walk (not entirely good) so I'm going to have to walk extra this afternoon and evening.

Just afraid to believe in myself.

Lisa said...

Losing weight is great - it's the painful deprivation of yummy comfort foods that suck!

I can handle really skinny people BUT when I see really skinny people scarfing down huge meals and snacks - that I can't handle!

YUP, get to the treadmill - exercise is a great boast to weight loss!

Bevie said...

I used to be the skinny person scarfing down huge meals. Until I passed thirty I was quite thin - and far more active than I am now.

In my early twenties I would eat ravenously. Between those bouts, though, I was playing a LOT of tennis with my friend, Stephen. We might play four or five hours of tennis a day. Or hike down a river for five or ten miles. Then I got married and didn't see Stephen anymore. Got a sit down job and lost interest in sports and such. Within ten years I was fat. (Never changed the eating habits, you see.)