Friday, April 3, 2009

Reporting Back as Ordered - well, not exactly ordered

You know, maybe I should just toss away my schedule. When was the last time I kept to it?

Okay. Remember I wrote about having a medical appointment today? Remember how I thought I probably had diabetes? Well, once again I'm right when it would have been nicer, perhaps, to have been wrong. I DO have diabetes.

But it's not so bad as I thought. Pending the results of all the bloodwork they did, the doctor does NOT believe I need to be placed on medicinal care at this time. In fact, he believes I can remove the diabetes from my system without spending any more money than I am currently spending. In fact, it should cost me less.

How? An unfortunate way, actually. I have to give up my Pepsi, Old Dutch, Brachs, and Keebler snacks. And my five minutes on the treadmill? That's fine. I just have to do it three times a day, with an ultimate goal of walking it sixty minutes every day. And I need to purchase a pedometer and walk 10,000-steps BETWEEN treadmill walks.

The result of these massive changes to my lifestyle should be - life. Quality of life, too.

The feeling in my feet, legs, hands, and whatnot should return. My stomach problem, which is grossly aggravated by my weight, would also diminish, possibly to the point where no surgery would be required.

I didn't understand until today that diabetes could be REMOVED. I thought at best it could be controlled. So, physically, I'm not quite hopeless. Mentally, emotionally, and spiritually are different questions entirely.

So, there you have the update. Maybe tomorrow I can return to the schedule and talk about old houses, growing up, Stephen, Daddy, and ghostly manifestations.

I'm probably feeling happier than I have in years. That concerns me. Being a bit manic (a bit?) I fear the swing to the other side of even. Until it hits, though, I intend to have fun.

NOTE: Speaking of fun, mark the following blog (Legion of On-Line Super Heroes) and plan to visit it regularly. Right now I am only one of six writers, but there is an excellent chance that number will increase. Perhaps you like to write? If so, check it out. We'd love to include you.

13 comments:

Maryannwrites said...

Bevie, good luck with your lifestyle changes. It can work wonders and it is good that you are so motivated right now. Hang on to that motivation the best you can, as it gets tougher down the road. I have managed to keep the dreaded disease at bay by doing all the things you are lining up to do, but my hubby didn't. So far he has had two toes amputated, bypass surgery, and a number of other health problems all related to the diabetes. It is a nasty disease if it gets control of you.

Hang in there.

Maryannwrites said...

BTW. I love the kitty on your page.

Bevie said...

Thank you, Maryann. And welcome!

I haven't tried very hard over the past five years because I had come to the conclusion there was no hope. So I've kind of put myself behind the eight ball, so to speak.

But I have found some wonderful friends on-line who are encouraging me magnificently. I think I can do it.

Thank you again. And do return!

writtenwyrdd said...

It's a pain to deal with diabetes, but in a way it's a terriffic thing to have a diagnosis. You can then form an action plan and deal (which you seem to be doing, beautifully.) The reason I am getting bypass surgery is so I don't become diabetic. All the health effects from that disease are not good. And weight, exercise to regulate blood sugar and what you eat makes the biggest difference.

I may be incorrect in saying this, but diabetes type 2 can be reversed, but you may very well be considered diabetic for a while after the blood sugar goes down.

At any rate, you will feel better for the exercise as well. Best wishes for that improvement!

Bevie said...

Thanks Writtenwyrdd.

You're right. Having a diagnosis means I have the option of being smarter about my life. I also have the motivation. Without the diagnosis I can delude myself about my symptoms.

Until the doctor told me, I was not aware any diabetes was reversible. So, I have hope after all.

By the way, did you get the Hero invite? Or should I resend?

Anonymous said...

Hi Bevie, thanks for coming on my blogs and for the lovely comment :-)

I'm sorry to hear you have diabetes. I also have an auto-immune disease, but it can't be cured like your can. I have also heard that you can totally eliminate diabetes if you undergo the right changes in your diet plus exercise.

All the best in doing that. And, get well!

M xx

Bevie said...

Hi God's Princess. You are welcome. And thank you for visiting me. Thank you for your well wishes. Hope you return.

fairyhedgehog said...

This is great news, Bevie. You can do it!

I've given up sugar for other health reasons and it can be very tough but it does get better. If you've been off sugar for long enough, it doesn't even taste that nice when you have some and you wonder "what was all the fuss about". If I'm desperate for sugar I use xylitol (which is safe for diabetics).

You've got your family and your online supporters behind you. So go for it!

Bevie said...

Thank you, Fairy!

Yes, I believe I can do it. As to my family, I think they're having mixed feelings. Since I can't have any pop or snacks, and since my willpower is so incredibly strong [sarcastic laughter], we won't be keeping any pop or snacks in the house. If they're there, I'll have them. At least, at first I will.

Like you said, after a while one loses their taste for them. But until that day arrives, we are all on the diet.

Stacy said...

Glad to hear you got diagnosed and that it's reversible. Good luck and stay well!

Stacy said...

Glad to hear you got diagnosed and that it's reversible. Good luck and stay well!

fairyhedgehog said...

Not exactly how to win friends and influence people! I hope they support you.

Bevie said...

[haha]

I confess to being worried, Fairy, when I saw your post in the moderation screen. All I saw was "Not exactly how to win friends", and I worried I had inadvertently written something offensive.

Spouse doesn't mind (yet). Neither does Son. But then Spouse had just returned with a new load of drinks and snacks which should see them through a couple of weeks. After that we'll see.