Monday, December 1, 2008

Learning About Happiness

I just finished watching 90 minutes of a program on happiness: Happy For No Reason With Marci Shimoff. It was on our Public Television Station. I think it may still be on, but I didn't want to fall asleep. Watching television often does that to me.

The woman hosting the program stated there are 21 habits of happy people. She went through seven in the time I watched. Let me see if I remember them.

1. Take responsibility for your own happiness
2. Forgive
3. Be grateful
4. Don't believe everything you think
5. Have healthy, nourishing personal relationships
6. Live with a purpose
7.

That's what I remember. That's isn't the order she used. It seems I've forgotten one. Pity.

Sorry. Just dumped two paragraphs of rambling.

While I confess that I am not exactly "happy" about everything in my life, there are many areas for which I am exceedingly grateful and "happy". That, no doubt, raises skeptical eyebrows of any/all who have read my blog entries. Those tend towards moodiness, and self-loathing. I do tend that way at times, and those are the times I am most likley to write. I seldom feel like writing when I am happy, and so I seldom write that I am happy. But, when struck by a mood (which can last from seconds to minutes to hours), I feel a need to express it. Often, that puts an end to it. Perhaps that is why I don't write when I'm happy. I don't want it to end.

No comments: