Monday, December 15, 2008

The House of My Youth

Damn! I just did it again! I tried to do a mass select of the past forty minute's work and now it is gone. This software sucks! Anyway, here's another go. Damn!



Part 2 - The Ghost



Yes. The Old House was haunted. We had relatives who were afraid to visit us, much less sleep overnight. As to us, the knowledge came to us separately, and in stages.



I was only six when we moved into the Old House in January of 1963. I do not recall my first experience with the ghost. I heard him before I saw him (and before he got into bed with me - I will leave you to wait for and wonder about that - smiles). I do recall this early instance. I will write it as though it were the first, but it may not have been.



Gayanne, Helvie and I were home alone. Mother had taken Lynahr and Judayl clothes shopping. That was interesting to girls ages fourteen and eleven respectively, but not for the under ten crowd. Mickey was off to some neighbor's house. Dad was in Thief River Falls, or someplace. Dad was a truck driver. During these years he would take a run to some city within three or four hundred miles, spend the night, and then bring another load back to Minneapolis. Sometimes he would bypass Minneapolis and go to another nearby city. In any case, we were home alone.





I remember we were in the living room (L on the map), in the southeast corner opposite the fireplace. We were playing whatever and having a good time when we heard someone talking. We weren't able to make out what was being said, but we could definitely hear them. Thinking they must be outside we looked out the windows. No one. Then we heard the footsteps above our heads. Whoever it was, they were in our bedroom (B1). Now Helvie and I were always ready to be scared anyway. Helvie was only five. But Gayanne didn't like to admit to us she was ever scared. Gayanne was eight, and liked to appear the grownup. She was quite arrogant. It made her annoying at times, and the elder siblings did not get along with her at all.



Gayanne suggested that someone we had thought gone had actually stayed home. The correct solution was to go and see who it was. So we went to the dining room (D), up the stairs and into our bedroom. No one there. Gayanne looked in the closet (I never looked in there). No one. We looked in Lynahr's room, Judayl's room and even Mickey's room. No one. Helvie and I looked at each other. Then we looked at Gayanne. I'm sure Helvie was thinking the same thing as me: Okay, Bright Eyes. Explain this. Gayanne was scared, but she wasn't going to admit it to us. She said whoever it was had simply slipped past us downstairs. Helvie and I looked at each other. Right. I noticed Gayanne saw no reason to remain upstairs. We hurried down to the dining room.



It was an unspoken agreement that we remain in the dining room. Having just proved the upstairs empty, we would protect the only access. But it wasn't long before we heard footsteps in Judayl's room - B1 - right above us. The steps left the room and we heard the top step creak. Whoever it was, they were coming down. Helvie took charge.



I think she was out of the house before I realized she had moved. It was seeing Gayanne's butt as she left me alone to face 'whoever' that spurred me. I ran out after them. We stood a safe distance away, waiting to see which of our siblings would come to taunt us. We didn't care anymore. We were ready to laugh at ourselves - as soon as we knew who it was who scared us. No one came. We waited outside until Mickey came home. Mother, Lynahr and Judayl arrived almost at the same time. We told them what had happened and Mother and Mickey pooh pooed us. But Lynahr and Judayl didn't. They already knew, because they had already had their own proof. Within the year, Mickey and Mother would have their proof, too. This was not the end of it. Oh, no! Remember, I told you I actually saw him. I don't think anyone else did - until the photograph.

No comments: