Wednesday, December 10, 2008

But I Don't Feel Like it Now

Isn't this just my luck? I make an implied vow to reform and be cheerful and uplifting, allowing myself a single day to vent fears, sorrows and general angst, and on the day of my release - I have nothing to moan about. Pity.

I suppose I could lick my wounds from the beating I'm getting at Evil Editor's blog. New Beginning 584 is mine, and it did not go over well. Just how poorly it was received I'm not sure. I haven't finished collecting my stripes. I had fallen asleep. Some time during my repose of restless dreams the assault of truth began. It's clear why God says the Truth is like a two-edged sword. It cuts.

My thoughts are still bleery, though, and I'm not feeling especially persecuted. I'm disappointed. My writing style is poor at best. Outmoded at least.

Sigh. The things I enjoy are not enjoyed by others. The things others enjoy bore me immensely. That's an overstatement, I know. There are overlaps of interest. But there isn't a single show on television I like. Not one. Others say that, but then they are able to recite entire episodes of this show or that. I don't even know the names of of shows, much less characters and much less episodes.

I remember that from when I wrote computer software. The other programmers - software engineers (they hated it that I called us programmers, even though that's what we were) - read technical manuals in their spare time. I read what I considered to be a better kind of fiction. They talked about work ALL the time. I talked about work at work. They laughed at things I found b - o - o - r - r - i - i -n - n - g. They looked at me strangely when I found something funny.

What's that got to do with my latest submission to Evil Editor? Nothing, I suppose. Except I just can't seem to fit in anywhere. I'm always different, but not in an endearing way.

I was hoping I could fit in with my writing. I've been thinking I could do it. Now, I'm not so sure. I can tell a story, but not so people want to hear it. I can write a story, but not so people want to read it.

What a waste. What an effing waste!

Well, I must get back to Evil Editor's blog and complete my chastisement for writing poorly. It's like many ordeals I have had to endure in my life: they're not so bad when they're history.

4 comments:

Kiersten White said...

If nothing else, I like both your profile description AND the Bevie's corner cartoon.

Bevie said...

Thanks. I paid an artist ten dollars to make that logo for me back in '86 or '87. I had designs of starting a monthly magazine and one of the features was going to be Bevie's Corner. It never got off the ground.

Thank you, for visiting. I didn't expect anyone to read what I write here, but you are the second person to comment. Welcome.

If you've read more than a little you already realize I get down on myself. FairyHedgeHog called me on it, and that's what prompted me to create a schedule (see bottom). If anything looks interesting, come back and take a look from time to time.

The House of My Youth may not interest you as that is going to detail life in the 1960s, as seen through the eyes of child (but recalled forty years later). But those should be reasonably light-hearted.

If you like animals, Thursdays would be a good day to visit. Animals are generally amusing, and I have had more than a few pets in my life.

Welcome again.

Kiersten White said...

I'll come back as often as I remember. I'll admit to being a very spotty blog attendee. Especially when I'm in the middle of writing a new book ; )

Bevie said...

No problem. While I don't have much of one, I do realize other people actually have lives to live.

Am I correct in understanding you write for young people? Is the work focused toward girls, or would boys like to read it? I ask because I have a son who is an avid reader, but he is a boy, and at that age when gender matters.