Sunday, December 28, 2008

A Dumped Post - A Real Turkey

This post was originally titled, So What Scares You.

If you are on a return visit (not many do that, so thank you), you just may be wondering about the post which used to occupy this space. You may also be wondering if it was ever here and that you either dreamed it or saw it someplace else.

Well, wonder no more. The post did exist and it is gone. It's blasted, although not completely out of existence. It has been relegated to the Archives where, in time, it will become lost forever with other other banished pieces of wit and thought.

It wasn't what I really wanted to say, and it wasn't written at all in the way I wanted to write it. Within minutes of posting it I was tempted to rush back to the computer and dump it. It was granted a short reprieve because I was under the weather on Sunday and didn't have the energy to move again. (I think this is how I came to write it in the first place.) Every year I forget which brand of turkey is the only one which doesn't make me sick. I don't know why it makes a difference, but it does.

There are two big brands around here: Butterball and Jennie-O. There are others, too, but those are the two I remember. When we have one, I get sick. When we have the other, I don't. And guess what? I don't know which is which. You would think that someone as supposedly smart as me would pay attention and learn. Write it down maybe? But no. Either Spouse or I remove the plastic casing which reveals the offending name and toss it into the garbage. So I don't know which brand we got this year. (I wonder if the fact that this year's bird was free. It may have been an old bird.)

Anyway, I was all right on Christmas Day, but I didn't eat much turkey. I stuffed myself on mashed potatoes. I love mashed potatoes. (But NOT with sour cream. That sucks. Sour cream makes makes me sick. And none of those awful onion flakes either. Just nice mashed potatoes made with milk. Lumps are acceptable.) I had a couple of sandwiches on Friday. No problem. Then came Saturday, Big Leftover Day. I was sick for twenty-four hours. Over it now. At first I thought the turkey really had gone bad, but Spouse was as chipper as ever. Well, chipper is not a usual word to describe Spouse. Let's use happy and pleasant.

I didn't get sick last year, but then last year we bought our turkey. Sitting here now, I'm thinking it's the Jennie-O I can eat and the Butterball that makes me sick. Or is it the other way around? No matter. I've got an entire year to figure it out.

Regarding the previous post, So What Scares You, I think I know the answer now. Reading my ramblings of culinary delights and misfortunes with the ensuing digestive consequences. Frightening!

6 comments:

jaz said...

Hi Bevie. How funny because I DID read that post and I was going to offer some advice on how to actually get yourself to the writers' group meeting! But it was late and my little children were still awake and I needed to get them to bed. But now I don't know if you need the advice or not! So I'll wait and see if it comes up again. :)

Sorry you got sick!
Take care,
Jennifer

Bevie said...

And here I thought I had gotten away with something. Oh, well. Truth will win out.

"I'll wait and see if it comes up again"

It's always there, lurking like a shadow haunting my every step. My problem is I'm such a coward, and it has only worsened with age regarding personal assertiveness.

I very much want to know (and very much am afraid of what you will write) what you were going to tell me. However, I will be realistic up front and say there is no guarantee I will have the courage to follow through.

jaz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bevie said...

Thank you, Jennifer, for both pieces of advice.

I confess I have never thought about going into a fearful situation with the idea I would get something to write about - but then I've only been blogging since October (something I have said I would never do - grin).

What you suspect I am afraid of is so. Coupled with it is the added fear of not only being rejected, but of falling in love at the same time. That is something many people don't consider but, emotionally, I do - even though love is not an emotion. Being rejected by strangers is no big deal. Who cares, right? But to fall in love and be rejected by the one/s you love - that hurts. It's scarey to think about. It happens to me - a lot. Probably as some sick kind of self-fulfilling prophecy. I don't know. It goes with being broken, I guess.

But there is something about your solution which makes me feel good inside. (Of course, there isn't a meeting today either. big grin) I think it is because the solution provides a purpose outside of myself. The purpose is to share information with other people. I used to do that when I worked at the newspaper. Although it was still terrifying to do, I was able to meet people - because it was my job. I have never considered social investigation to be a part of writing, but it is, isn't it?

I have to confess I do not recognize the song, but no matter. I get the message. It reminds me of one of my earliest responses to my sister's death (necrotized pancreas). About six months later I told Spouse that I had always wanted to play the bass, but never had because I play left-handed, and everyone told me that I couldn't play bass left-handed - even though there were famous people who did. But they were listed as exceptions, and not the rule. After Lynahr died, I felt kind of dead inside. Lynahr was our family's moral stalwart. I was talking to Spouse one day and said, I'm over forty years old and I've wanted to play the bass since I was eight. If I don't play it now I never will. So I went out and bought one. I took lessons until the floor beneath Lynahr fell out from under me, too. I have never become 'good' at it - not even as good as I want. But my son plays tuba, and we will play tuba and bass duets on occassion. (Less so now. He's gotten so good I can't keep up.)

What you are making me consider (making this long post even longer) is that my writing is like my bass playing. Writing is the last dream I have that I still believe in. If I don't (maybe can't) make it happen now, it never will, and I will leave the Earth without ever having contributed. So, I have to believe I can write.

Say, are you talking about the Leo Sayer song, Long Tall Glasses?

jaz said...

Hi Bevie,

The song is "I Hope You Dance" by Lee Ann Womack. My mom sent me a book with the lyrics and the cd when I was making a tough professional decision once. I'm sure if you google it you could find the complete lyrics--it's worth a look. Or maybe a listen on youtube or something.

When is the next meeting? :)

Jennifer

Bevie said...

I have it going on YouTube right now. I have heard this before. I like it. Just never knew the title or artist. The version I have playing doesn't allow embedding, but there may be others. Thanks for the direction.

Regarding the next meeting - I don't know. I expect they took a break over the holidays, for I haven't received an email from them in a bit.

Smiling broadly. The decision is postponed. Sometimes life is just so kind.