Saturday, December 6, 2008

Poems From the Prophet #1

As indicated in an earlier post, I do not often write poetry. And yet here is my third poem entry in just over a month. I guess I write them more than I thought.

I know real poets write with special cadence, or meter, or whatever they call it. They write a few stanzas which speak volumes to the world. People love to read their poems because the words move them in so many different ways.

My poems are nothing like that. Their cadence is simple. Most of them rhyme. I would never dare believe they mean anything to anyone besides myself, because they are expressions of what I'm feeling (sadness, nostalgia, grief, joy, sarcasm, satire), not what I think the world is/should feel.

Most of my writing has been lost to one form of disaster or other, but the poems seem to have suffered worse than the stories. I find very few of in my archives - which is why I came to the belief I do not write them often. But sometimes what I'm feeling won't wait for a story. I need to get it out in minutes, not hours.

Whatever. I wrote this today. I apologize for not even editing once. I should have. It doesn't quite say what I'm feeling. I think that's because I'm not exactly sure what I am feeling.

The Word of the Prophet

Rejoice and be glad, for the day's soon at hand when sorrow departs and mixes with sand.

Think well on the earth and the seed which will grow. Think well on the kinds of seeds that you sew.

Sometimes you reach bottom before you can rise. Accept what is truth. It's the way to be wise.

Remember that love will last through your tears. And listen for God's sweet voice in your ears.

Hope is a seed that never shall die. It answers hard questions. Especially, why?

Be sad not, my love. Rejoice and be glad. When this is all through, you'll have more than you had.

The time for recovery is coming up fast. Then loneliness, finally, will be in your past.

Bevie James

No comments: