Friday, December 12, 2008

A New Christmas Book

I have no idea why I thought to have a day in which I recommended a book, movie or song for others. I hardly ever do that. And now I'm scheduled to do it every Friday? I used to think I was smart. Now I'm not so sure.


My opening choice is not a new book. I'm not in a position to be purchasing many new books. But I read some books several times. Some are quite old. Older than me. This one is not particularly old. I purchased it to read to my son at Christmas. That is how I chose it. I was going to go upstairs and grab one of my "old" books and recommend you try to find it with other used books. Then I chanced to see a couple of Christmas books on a chair, waiting for this year's reading. My choice for today is, The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey, by Susan Wojciechowski. Illustrated by P.J. Lynch. Candlewick Press. It says it was printed in Italy. The First U.S. Edition was in 1995. I purchased our copy a few years later.


Here is the blurb on the paper jacket, folded into the front cover.


Jonathan Toomey is the best woodcarver in the valley. He keeps to himself, though, and never smiles or laughs. No one knows that a lace handkerchief, a tine white blanket, and a portrait of the wife and child he's lost lie hidden in a drawer he never opens.


One day in early winter the widow McDowell comes to call. Would Mr. Toomey carve a new creche for her in time for Christmas? And would he allow her young son to watch while he carves it?


A quiet request leads to a joyful miracle, as the widow and her son gently warm the sad heart of Jonathan Toomey.


There are four (4) awards listed, but I'm not clear if they are for this book or for the author. I'm not up on awards and don't really understand most of them. Here is the list:


A Christopher Award Winner


Winner of a Parents' Choice Honor Award


An American Library Association Notable Children's Book


An International Reading Association Teachers' Choices Award Winner


I like the book. And I like the artwork, which is in watercolor. I bought it on sale at a local book outlet for half price. It's a quick read, having just 16-pages of text accompanied by 16-pages of art. It is wonderful, and my son still enjoys hearing it on Christmas Eve. It easily replaces The Night Before Christmas. My copy is a hard-copy, roughly ten inches by eleven.


The story moves at an easy, but directed, pace. There is no sense of rush (although as the story progresses a sense of urgency arises). I read it as though I am floating on a raft down a lazy river. That may be because the story takes place prior to the age of automobiles. Each page presents a new scene, and each scene builds upon previous scenes to create a final image of beauty. Parts of it make me teary. Parts make me smile.


The story makes me think: about myself, others, what it really means to care for and respect someone else, and how we so often hide who we are by being unpleasant, or obnoxious. Most of all, it makes me think about how important it is to express love. For some, it's warm bread on a cold morning. For others, it's a story of make-believe. And for others, it's a carving of wood.


Do look for it, if you enjoy this kind of reading. If you find it, buy it. It's well worth the read.


The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey, by Susan Wojciechowski. Illustrated by P.J. Lynch. Candlewick Press.

No comments: