Friday, December 26, 2008

So, Christmas is over, and everyone goes back to hating one another, treating one another like dirt and generally crushing the spirits of any who happen to get into their way. Right?

No. Not really. Do you know what I honestly believe? I believe only a few people actually change over the Christmas Holiday. I think most of us act the same all year. It's just that few people pay attention until this time of year. The people who helped me with advice on how to improve my writing did not do it because Christmas was coming. They did it because that is what they do. And they do it all year. The media likes to perpetuate the stereotype that people are only nice at Christmas - which means all the generosity and kindness is phoney. I say that's the lie. The truth is, people who are nice are nice all year. Kind people are kind all year. Helpful people help all year. Giving people give all year. The list goes on. (It also includes the crap behaviors, such lying, cheating, stealing and what have you.) We don't change for a day and then change back. Not really.

But how was your Christmas? I hope it was at least as much as you desired. Since I cannot hear your answer now, I will tell you how our day went.

Son has been excited about this Christmas for several weeks now. It's been fun to watch him squirm as time stood still for him. He said he wanted to hand out presents Christmas morning, or at least the first. Spouse and I agreed.

For us, Christmas begins on Christmas Eve. We watch my all-time favorite Christmas Movie: Scrooge, starring Albert Finney. When it originally was released in theatres I did not go see it. It sounded dumb. Then, a year or two later, I caught it on television and fell in love with it. Even as a teenager its haunting tone touched my heart. And I really liked the portrayal of 1800s London.

When the movie was over Son opened a small present. It was a book: The Cat Before Christmas. It was a silly parody of The Night Before Christmas. When he finished reading it aloud, I read The Night Before Christmas, The Christmas Letters and The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey. Then we did something which has become a tradition for two years now: we watched logs burn in a fireplace on television. The entire concept is stupid, and yet we watch with great fascination. It's about thirty minutes long, and Christmas music plays. Then there is an announcement about the station and it starts over again, but with new music. We didn't stay up to midnight this year. Spouse was crabby and we shut down early.

I was the first to arise. I usually am. That was around four. Son got up a couple of hours later, and Spouse about a half hour after Son. We set up the video camera and filmed the reading of The Gospel according to Luke, just like in A Charlie Brown Christmas. Then the packages were handed out, beginning with a piece of artwork Son made this past week. He drew a Christmas Tree with presents. He gave hugs and kisses.

The presents were handed out, each to each. Regarding quantity, Spouse had the most this year. Normally, that honor goes to Son. But I didn't have a box the right size, so I divided my gift to Spouse into several packages. Everyone seemed happy with everything they got. Son bought me the third installment of the Eregon series: Brisinger. He actually had the most money to spend.

We had a light lunch and watched a movie Son bought for Spouse. We played some games, computer and table top. The free turkey (a local grocery store gave out free turkeys for customers who spent sixty dollars with them over the month of November) was ready at three and we ate while watching my second favorite Christmas Movie: We're No Angels, starring Humphrey Bogart, Peter Ustinov and Aldo Ray.

There were more games and then another movie. After that the day was over and we shuttled off to bed.

I hope your day was good. I know not everyone got one, and if that includes you I am sorry. Maybe things will begin to improve for you now. I hope so.

Have a great day today! God bless you!

No comments: