Thursday, October 8, 2009

A Cold Wind is Blowing

There's a new lock on our door. Kind of symbolic.

The wind has changed. During August and September the wind would not come into the apartment, even with both windows and the sliding door open. Now, for the past week, the wind has been coming from the southwest and blowing directly inside. And, because it's been raining and cold, the smokers aren't out to force us to close those windows and the sliding door.

I'm not a cold weather person, despite living in Minnesota. However, it has been several years since we've had what I would call a "normal" Minnesota winter. When I was young we often had nasty cold snaps strike around Christmas and last about a month. Then we would get a "thaw" in January followed by several weeks of extreme cold. In the last ten years I think we've actually had a couple of winters in which nature was not able to maintain a snow cover through the winter.

But it's cold now. For me. Once it falls below sixty I think it's cold, and we haven't had sixty degrees in quite a while.

I'm not looking forward to this winter. If it's this cold already in September and October, then perhaps we are in store for a "normal" winter this year. Cold. Snow. Ice. Yuck.

6 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

I'm with you on that, Bevie. I don't like the cold.

Bevie said...

No fun at all. Give me hot and humid any day.

writtenwyrdd said...

At least the leaves are pretty!

About four years ago, it was so warm during our normally frigid winter that we had 10" of rain between Xmas and Jan 10th. We had flooded roads! It was totally weird. That 10 feet of snow we didn't get* was much more welcome as rain, though.

*An inch of rain generally equals about a foot of normal snow (not the squeaky dry kind.)

Bevie said...

We don't have so many pretty leaves here. Something to do with the wrong amount of moisture and sun. But generally our peak time for leaves is in about two weeks. The maples, the birch, the elms and ash. All of those yellows, reds and oranges. Very pretty indeed.

Stacy said...

I read somewhere that Chicago is in for a brutal winter this year. I hope that was wrong. It's to be my last Chicago winter. I'm hoping for something milder, but the signs don't look good.

Bevie said...

Hang in there, Stacy. You can make it.

Chicago has to be absolutely nasty with the wind coming off Lake Michigan like that.