Thursday, October 15, 2009

Another First For Me - Life's Minor Triumphs

I don't normally do memes. For one thing, I'm not entirely sure I understand what a meme is. Apparently it is a series of unasked questions to be answered in sequence on a blog. Kind of like a chain letter. (I don't get into those either.)

But Writtenwyrdd has one on her site which she got from Charles Gramlich who's been seeing it on other blogs. This one is interesting to me because it is exclusively devoted to books and reading. So, I thought I would give it a go.

So, my first meme. Questions in red italics, answers in blue.

Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack:
My favorite place to read is in bed, which means snacks and a soda are right at hand. Snacks are anything which can be eaten with one hand. The most common snacks are chips and popcorn, but chocolate, apples, peanuts, and even hot dish qualify.

Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you?
Writing in a book makes my skin crawl. For the longest time I couldn't even write in a blank book. Eventually, I got so I could hi-lite and underline passages in my bible, and write personal thoughts on what I had read, but now when I read it I find myself wishing I hadn't done that.

How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ears? Laying the book flat open?
When I was very young I folded the corners. Then I realized the fold marks never went away. So I began laying the books flat open. But then I found the spines would break. So now I use bookmarks. I'm constantly having to buy more because they get all bent and floppy. I prefer stiff bookmarks. (Although the one I'm using now is made of cloth.)

Fiction, nonfiction, or both?
Mostly fiction and mostly fantasy. However, I also enjoy nature stories. And over the years I have found reading documentary and biographical stories enjoyable. And reading about the stars, the planets, and earth history and science is always fascinating.

Are you a person who tends to read to the end of a chapter, or can you stop anywhere?
During a first read I prefer to finish reading sessions between chapters. In subsequent reads I can stop wherever.

If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away?
It depends. If the book is exceptionally captivating I won't interrupt the flow with a word search. I try to evaluate the meaning based on context. For not so captivating work, or during subsequent reads, I will look up the word.

What are you currently reading?
Lord of the Rings. For about the 250th time. I'm also picking up a Tanya Huff book at the library this afternoon: Sing the Four Quarters. I've not ready anything from her before, but she comes highly recommended.

What is the last book you bought?
The Higher Power of Lucky, by Susan Patron. That's been a while now. Ran out of money you know.

Are you the type of person that reads one book at a time, or can you read more than one?
I can read more than book at a time, and I have. But generally, I read so fast that I usually finish a book in one sitting, so I don't give myself the opportunity. I have been known to stay up until dawn reading.

Do you have a favorite time/place to read?
My favorite place to read is in bed. My favorite time is when I'm going to be left alone. I don't like being interrupted in my reading any more than I do in my writing. But I'm usually nice when I am. [smiles]

Do you prefer series books or stand alones?
I don't know that I have a real preference on this. It kind of depends on the story. While I wish there was more with Lord of the Rings and Well-Favored Man (Elizebeth Willey), I'm content that Higher Power of Lucky is stand alone.

Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over?
Very seldom do I ever recommend books. I just tell people I liked them and leave it for them to decide on their own if they're interested. Further, I have a difficult time remembering author names. I've always been horrible at remembering names.

How do you organize your books?(by genre, title, author’s last name, etc.)
Ideally, I keep my books by author within genre. There are exceptions. I have some Star Trek books written by different authors. I keep these together because they still form a set of sorts. But I keep my Warriors (Erin Hunter) in order by chronological sequence and not title.

So, there you have it. My first meme. Not too difficult. Could have said a lot more. I'm surprised I didn't.

No comments: