Friday, March 6, 2009

Free Talent

Today I was tempted to write about something kind of serious. Something important. I have found myself being confronted with the topic at least weekly, and often several times each week. But I'm not ready, I think. Besides, today I'm supposed to recommend a book, movie, or song. I've only done that twice since I said I would do this on Fridays. Well, I'm not going to recommend anything again today. However, I will stay in the arts.

My aunt came down from Duluth to visit my mother. That happened to be the day my mother was discharged from the hospital. (She is doing well, by the way. I spoke with her last night and we will be visiting her on Sunday.) She brought along a small bin filled with photo albums, manilla envelopes filled with photos, and other historic memorabilia.

I have looked at everything at least once, and there are some interesting things. One thing I found was a painting my grandmother did back in 1932. That's the year indicated by a stamp on the back. There is also an identification which states my grandmother's name, Sandstone, Minn, and a code: Mem-no.-Z-67. Apparently, the painting had been submitted for something.

My grandmother wrote stories all the time. Some of her works were published (for free) in magazines and newspapers. It's incredible, but I had forgotten about her love of painting. How could I do this? Her house had been filled with works she had done. She would also "colorize" photographs.

I don't know how to judge art, so I cannot say whether Grandma was good or not. I know I always recognized the subjects of her paintings, so in that regard she was successful. And most of them were pleasing to look at. Mostly, that was because her favorite subject to paint was landscapes. I like landscapes. They're my favorite kind of painting.

The particular work I have is roughly eight inches by six inches, painted on cardboard (not corrugated). I'm guessing watercolors. It's an unsigned work. If I recall correctly, Grandma seldom signed her work. At least her older work. She would have been twenty-six, or younger, when she painted this. My mother would have been about five years old.

The painting is suffering from mistreatment. All of the corners are bent, and the upper left is bent several times. The cardboard is beginning to curl. I like it, and I would like to make sure it is preserved. I'm not sure what to do, though. Or where to go to find out.

Do any of you know anything about preserving old artwork? Again, this appears to be a watercolor on thick paper. Practically cardboard. And whether you know or not, here is a scan of the work. Grandma didn't title it, so I'm calling it, "Tree in Blossom."

4 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

Nice picture but I can't help you with preserving it, I'm afraid.

Bevie said...

Thanks. That's okay. I'll find something.

jaz said...

Bevie, I love that picture and your title. The picture has somehow a really peaceful quality about it, but also feels infused with joy. I could see someone entering that scene and feeling happy. Something good would happen in that scene. It looks like a place someone would propose, or share the news of a new baby on the way, or picnic with an old dear friend.

I hope you can figure out how to preserve it.

Thanks for sharing it!

Bevie said...

Thanks, Jennifer.

I recall my grandma as someone who laughed often. She had the most wonderful laugh. If you've ever seen old Flintstones episodes, it was kind of like a female version of Barny Rubble.

I also have what I believe to be a few of her old poems. I'm going to sort those out and post them on The Great Sea. Mother has more of grandma's writing and I'm going to see if I can't get some of that.

I know a museum would know what to do, but I don't see them being particularly interested in working with a painting which only has sentimental value.