Sunday, March 8, 2009

International Women's Day

Most of my readers probably were already aware of today's signifiance without me telling them. I didn't know. The only holidays I pay attention to are: New Year's, Easter, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Halloween (because of Son), Thanksgiving, and Christmas. I also know about Spouse, Son's, and my own birthdays, and my wedding anniversary. That's twelve days. The other stuff I don't pay much attention to. Sorry. I don't.

But FairyHedgeHog has a post about International Women's Day and I thought I would add my little bit. It kind of ties in to something which has been popping up in my life quite a bit since Christmas, and something else which has been bothering me for a number of years. Hopefully, this won't become one of those interminable lengthy posts.

While I like the idea of acknowledging women on a special day, something about it seems condescending to me. We give women a day to tell them how important they are, and how much they have meant to the world, and then the rest of the year we see them beaten, raped, murdered, held back, and - well, the list goes on. Why can't we honor women all the time?

At least today women are important in the eyes of most. I think they are anyway. Hope so. I just wish we could carry this sentiment throughout the year. And men, too. I wish we could just treat people with respect all the time, instead of just on a special day.

Which kind of leads into my other two topics, which are closely tied together: Gay people (lesbians in particular); and the hijacking of my faith.

Before launching into this next part, let me say up front that I have concerns about writing it. My concerns, however, are probably not for the reasons you may suspect. What I am concerned about is coming across as some stupid know-it-all, or a condescending jerk, or some self-important bast*rd. In essence, I am worried about offending the very people I wish will accept me. It is so easy to offend. Especially with the written word. I recently read somewhere that only 40% of a message is received when it is written. Without the visual and audio to help, words are often misinterpreted.

This year I have found myself meeting a lot of lesbian women. I have also found myself confronted time and again with issues relating to the gay community in general. I'm not one to believe in consistent coincidences, people. I think God is trying to get my attention in order to tell me something. I'm not sure what. Not yet.

I have known only a handful of confessed gay people in my life. I was on good terms with all of them. Three were my friends. Yet in only one case did I even think about the person being gay. That was when I was seventeen. Mel was kind of over the top. Russ and Steve I didn't even know were gay until after changing jobs and no longer interacting with them. Steve I learned about from a mutual friend. Russ had his picture in the paper. He had entered the entertainment field, which I always felt he was well-suited for. He knew how to tell a comic story. Jenny I knew all along, but never thought about it. Same with Sarah.

Currently, I do not have anyone around me who is gay that I know of. There is our good friend, Sarah, down in New Mexico, but she only calls once or twice a year. She also sends the most wonderful baked goods at Christmas. Ummm. But I have met several lesbian women on-line. Especially recently. I like these people. I like them a lot. And that I should be meeting more and more and more lesbian women makes me wonder what's up in my life. Some day I'll find out. Meanwhile, to my point.

My point is not to draw attention to how "wonderful" I am because I like the company of these women. My point is that, after getting to know them as people - as women - I cease to think of them as lesbian women, and simply as women.

I am also learning that some of them are scared and/or hurting. These are the women who are suffering from non-acceptance by others. Sarah Laurenson wrote about the frightful prospect of being declared unmarried after being declared married. This was actually written before Christmas, and it served as a catalyst for my journey to this new world I'm finding myself in. I know about not being accepted. For different reasons, but does the reason for not being accepted matter? It's still out of hand rejection.

Historically, I have not been one to enjoin myself to social issues. They're much easier to deal with when ignored. They don't go away, but then you just ignore them some more. But wasn't that how Hitler came to power? I think it's how G.W. made it, too.

Anyway, Sarah's post caused me to think about myself and my faith. It made me dig deeper into what Jesus had to say about people. You see, Sarah's post had moved me to tears, and I had discovered that I am NOT in favor of turning people's lives upside down in the name of God. So I had to know what God said. I found out. I had known it since I became a Christian back in August of 1975. I had just let the hijackers make me forget it.

It turns out my lack of desire to inflict pain, emotional or otherwise, is quite correct. God is love, people. He is the spiritual - and physical - embodiment of love. I know. I've seen it. I've felt it. And, I can't describe it. I can only say it exists. It's there for all of us. God loves us all.

I can honestly say that anyone who criticizes love - especially in the name of God- hasn't a clue what they are talking about. If you are one of these people who do so, stop it. Quit focusing on what you believe to be wrong with people, and start focusing on the fact that they are people. Once you do that, nothing else matters.

To be truthful, I am no longer even sure what being gay or lesbian is. If it is sexual activity with one or more members of my own gender then I can say for certain I am not, nor do I wish to be. But if it more than that - and I am finding myself believing it is with greater fervency - then I could very well be. There are a lot of people I love, and some share my gender. I'm not interested in having sexual relations with these people, but I love them. Some of those I love are gone to me until it is my time to leave the earth. That is pain. More pain than somedays I think I can bear. Were it not for my music I think I should lay down and cry until I passed away.

I know what it means to love. I also know what it means to hurt because of love torn away. There is no way I can support tearing apart two people who love each other, no matter their gender. That is not God. That is not love.

My recent contact with the Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual/Transgender community has been nearly all with women. I suppose that makes sense. I relate much better to women than men. My conversations with women tend to be more meaningful than with men. Speaking in generalities, I'm happier talking with women than men. There are exceptions. Stephen was the biggest. Daddy and my brother, Mickey, too.

My emotions have been spinning like crazy over this topic for several months now. I'm happily married, and I want to stay that way. At the same time, I find myself wishing I could be part of this new and wonderful group of people I've met. If only it were possible.

Meanwhile, let it be known that this Born Again Christian does NOT condem the GLBT community. Those from it I know I actually love. Not all the same. I don't know them all the same. But it's still love. And if I love them, then God certainly does. I can't love more than God. So whoever you are, don't worry when someone tells you God doesn't love you. They're wrong. You are precious. God loves you. And for what it's worth, so do I.

NOTE: If you are interesting in my response to television and radio preachers who spend their days condemning the GLBT community, I will write a post on Faith in Forgiveness later today. Right now, I have to get off the internet. I promised Son he could write his book for an hour. Then we are going to visit my Mother. If you are interested, check back this evening (CST), or on Monday. Thank you for reading this far. [smiles]

2 comments:

jaz said...

This all sounds very reasonable and it's a shame people would condemn such a view.

Bevie said...

Thanks, Jennifer.

No matter what one's view, there is always someone who will condemn it.