Thursday, March 5, 2009

Royal Nicholas and Lady

I had two Norwegian Elkhound dogs. Actually, I had three. The first I have already written about. He was Royal Nicholas of Winona. Years later, after I was married, Spouse talked me into visiting a kennel which had Norwegian Elkhound puppies. Spouse wanted a dog. I was not keen about it. I didn't want to go through losing another pet.

I can still recall going to the place and being shown the area where the puppies were. There were eight. One was very fearful and shy. She was the runt of the litter. Spouse felt sorry for her and picked her up. I stood apart, trying keep emotional distance. Then the largest of the litter, a big roly-poly boy, came stalking up to me. I moved, and he changed course. He wanted to get to me. So I let him. Big mistake.



We went home with two dogs on that day I planned on getting no dogs. I named the male Royal Nicholas Zwei. The female became Lady Nicole.

I think I've written about this Nikki before, too. He was the one who figured out the most excellent plan to take corn on the cob meant for the squirrels to himself. He was a very jealous dog, and probably the most eager to please animal I've ever been associated with. Lady remained timid and shy all of her life. She was absolutely terrified of summer storms.

Both dogs were able to do a variety of tricks. Lady was difficult to teach because she got confused very quickly, and then she would just cower. I never understood this, because it wasn't like we beat on her or anything. But she always acted like we did. It was kind of embarassing (and concerning) when people visited. Nikki, I think we could have beat him and it wouldn't have made any difference. He just wanted to please. He also wanted to eat. He would pretty much do anything if he thought there was a meal at the end.

I taught them both to stand up on their hind legs and spin. Well, Lady spun. It was very pretty and graceful. She enjoyed the treat afterward. Nikki spun, but not like you think. Instead of using his feet to step in a circle, he would jump, and land with a turn. It took him roughly six jumps to complete a circle. And he was so heavy.

Lady lived sixteen years. We had to have her put down after she had a severe stroke in the spring of 2001. That was the year Lynahr died. Lynahr and Lady loved each other. So much so that we let Lynahr take Lady for a year.
Nikki didn't make it so long. I think he was also suffering from a health problem, but before we found out he became "unpredictable". When a neighbor was standing by our fence holding his son and petting Nikki, who was paws up on the fence, his son's mitten fell and he snatched it before it could fall to the ground. Nikki bit him, taking skin off his finger. He told us it was his own fault. He should have known better than to make such a sudden movement. But I was concerned.

There were no more incidents and I began to think all was well. Then, during a severe storm when we were huddled in our utility room, Nikki snapped at Son. Son had fallen on him, but that should not have resulted in the reaction Nikki gave. We were in contact with the vet at this time. Just a short time after that, Lynahr came by and was petting Lady. Nikki realized someone had come to the property and ran around the house and attacked Lynahr's arm. He drew blood.

We lived on a cul-de-sac. There were nine houses in close proximity. In those nine houses were no less than 15 children - all under the age of six. Nikki was a nightmare just waiting to happen. We had to have him put down.

I remember his last day. We were getting ready to leave. I went outside and found him sitting in the yard staring into the horizon. In my creative imagination it seemed to me that he understood that he would die this day. I sat beside him, my arm around him, until it was time to leave. Then I kissed him. Not on the lips. I don't normally kiss animals, but it seemed appropriate.

We brought him to the vet and gave him his last hugs. The vet asked if I wanted to hold him while they did the injection. I suspect it may have helped him, but I didn't have the heart. I was already crying. I couldn't bear it. We left.

Since Nikki and Lady I have not owned another dog. I do not plan to. But then I didn't plan on having them. Neither did I plan on having another cat. The future will bring what it does.


No comments: