Saturday, March 7, 2009

Daddy's Car

While waiting for Mother to come out of surgery I spoke with Judayl about The Old House, Daddy, and a bunch of other things. I told her my favorite Daddy story and she told me hers. This is her story.

(I also told her I write about him and call him Daddy. She looked at me as if I had lost my mind. Maybe I have.)

After Judayl got her driver's license she asked to use Daddy's car at every opportunity. He usually handed her the keys.

One day he gave her the keys but told her she had to be home by five. She promised she would and left. Well, Judayl being Judayl, she didn't even think about going home until five. So, also in line with her personality, she not only speeded, she really speeded. Unfortunately, as she came into the town of Osseo she got behind some old woman who insisted on driving the speed limit. They got caught at a stop light and Judayl waited impatiently for the light to change. When it did she floored the accelerator and shot around the old woman before the old woman was halfway through the intersection.

Less than a mile out of town Judayl is caught by an Osseo policeman. He informs her that not only was she speeding, but she made an illegal maneuver in passing through an intersection. On top of that, the muffler needed to be replaced.

Judayl put on her cry face and explained that the car belonged to her father and that she was late in getting it home to him. The officer smiled and felt sorry for her. He didn't even give her a warning for her traffic offenses. But he did ticket her for the muffler. She left with the promise she would drive safely. (Not likely.)

When she got home she apologized to Daddy for being late. Daddy wasn't upset. His work had not called and so he hadn't needed the car after all. Then Judayl confessed to being stopped by the police. Only she didn't mention her traffic violations. Instead, she handed him the fix-it ticket for his muffler.

She said he grinned at her like he knew exactly what happened. She's convinced he did. I'm inclined to think so, too.

Daddy appreciated cleverness.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

when my dad gave me a car he filled up a 1/4 a tank of gas, and said it was his, and never to use. To this day, I feel like I'm using his gas if I allow it to get below 1/4 a tank.
I tell my husband he's that the same rule applies in his car, since I'm in it.

Bevie said...

What does husband say to that?

Lisa said...

He's says that the rule doesn't apply since it wasn't his father who said it. I tell him it doesn't matter.

It's a good rule to live by, not to allow your gas tank below 1/4 tank.

Bevie said...

I have heard that it is especially so in cold weather. Perhaps it's another Urban Myth. But supposedly, when a gas tank gets that low, frost can build up on the inside. Then, when new gas comes in, the frost is melted into water. This then leads to gas line freeze.

I don't know if it's true or not.

Lisa said...

I've heard that too, and I don't know if it's true.
My dad just didn't want me to run out of gas on some dark night with no gas station around.