Monday, March 23, 2009

The House of My Youth

Part 10 - Sharing a Bed




So we've come to it. The post which I've hinted at a few times before. The post which reveals why no less than FOUR of my parents' children (I only found out about Helvie and Lynahr recently) were terrified of The Old House.

.

The Old House was creepy. We knew that from the first day we entered it. But lots of old houses are creepy. Hey, I've been in some newer houses that creeped me out. We heard lots of noises for which we could not place a source. We saw things which shouldn't have been there. Things would appear in the house - clothing which didn't fit anybody we knew. Things would be moved, and no one could remember how. The dogs would get scared for no reason at all and desperately try to leave the house. Friends and relations didn't like to visit or spend the night. Creepy, creepy, creepy.

.

No big deal.

.

Not compared to this last manifestation. This was the topper. You see, noises are scary. But they are also a warning. You have time to get the h*ll out of there, which we often did. Seeing things is scary, but again, you have the chance to get away. Clothing showing up is odd. Things being moved is kind of creepy. The dogs wanting out was frightening. Friends and relations were just scardycats. All of those things generated fear, but not to the extent of proximity. When the ghost climbs into bed with you - now you know fear.

.

For years I believed this only happened to Judayl and myself. Now, after meeting with Helvie a couple of weeks ago, I learned it had happened to her and Lynahr, too. Lynhar had it happen multiple times. Having gone through it once myself I'm amazed she was able to sleep at all ever.

.

Judayl was the first. It happened in B3, which was her room for most of the years she was there. That was also the room, I found out, where Helvie had her experience.

.

Lynahr's visits were in B4, which was the only room she ever had in The Old House. It was also the scariest room in the house. It was my room when the house finally burned. All of the rooms upstairs were mine at one time or another, but when I found myself sharing the bed I was in B2.

.

My experience was virtually the same as my sisters'. It was the middle of the night. I was awakened for some reason. I felt scared. Then someone sat on the foot of my bed. I felt it sink under their weight. I pulled my feet away. They moved. I pulled my feet even further up toward my butt. They moved again. Now I was terrified. By moving my feet I was bringing them to me. But to not move my feet meant risking them being touched. You would have thought I would have screamed or something. I was too terrified. I huddled and whimpered for a good long while. Then, they got up and left. Only they didn't open the door to do it.

.

It would be years before I dared tell anyone. It was easier to expect them to believe I had seen a ghost than that one got into bed with me. But it turns out I wouldn't have had such a difficult time convincing at least three of my sisters after all.

.

I believe all manifestations ended when the house burned down. A significant turn of events, I think.

.

2 comments:

Ms Sparrow said...

Do you feel like these ghostly experiences affected the person you became? Did you have any experiences after that old house burned down? Do you remember what caused the fire? Ghosts are such a fascinating subject. I have friends who enjoy "table tipping" and asked me to join them once. I wasn't convinced I was talking to spirits but that table was definitely rising on its own!

Bevie said...

Hi, J.

Yes, I expect what I went through has affected who I am. It was all quite terrifying at the time.

I DO know what caused the fire. I'll go over that on a later post.

Many people - particularly those who are more religiously conservative - are very uncomfortable talking about these kinds of things. I am not. For one thing, it happened. I'm not making these stories up. So I'm not afraid to talk about the truth.

But beyond that, unlike those who are uncomfortable talking about this, I no longer believe these manifestations were caused by a "ghost", or "ghosts". I believe I have come across scientific explanations which address virtually everything that happened at The Old House.

I will go over these on a later post, too.

Regarding the rising table, I expect there is a scientific explanation for that, too.