Tuesday, February 17, 2009

I Don't Know What to Say

I decided to post again today. Don't normally do that, but I just finished a movie which was recommended by a friend of mine. It is called, The Visitor.

It's an excellent movie, and if you can get a copy to watch I strongly encourage you to do so. But I don't know that I can say much about it without spoiling the entire movie for those who have yet to see it. Jennifer did an excellent job, I think. Here is a link to her Review.

Jennifer makes the statement, "The New York Times says, "The curious thing about “The Visitor” is that even as it goes more or less where you think it will, it still manages to surprise you along the way." That's just it. Is the ending predictable? Basically. And yet we were riveted until the very end. "

It's a true statement. I was rivited, too. I was also troubled. For years I've wondered how so many people can be in this country "illegally". Especially when it seems they must have come via airplane. This movie does a fair job explaining at least some of them. Maybe a good many. If I understood correctly, the "illegal" people didn't come illegally. They got here via legal means. Only later were they declared illegal. Many don't understand why. I'm not sure I do either. But if this is so it explains a lot.

I felt bad because I found myself wondering if the movie would have been so riveting had there not been a stereotypical American in the lead role. It's a question I cannot answer, despite the fact that I found myself identifying with all four main characters to some extent.

I think the movie does an excellent job of showing how a nation's fear can result in actions otherwise unthinkable by its people. Consider the treatment of U.S.-Japanese citizens in the 1940s. We kind of have it now with Arab and/or Muslim young men. We are told nearly all of the terrorists in the world trying to destroy us are Arabs and/or Muslims. So we fear them all and treat them accordingly.

That's kind of what Hitler did in the 1930s to Jews, Gypsies, and other "non-desirables". The fear then was mostly economic, but not entirely. They are taking our money. They are taking our jobs. They are teaching "foreign ideas". This fear imposed on the German People made it easier for them to accept what was happening in their country. Otherwise decent people turned their backs on things they would never have condoned just a few years earlier.

Hitler used "work camps", I believe they were called. People were hauled away without reason and locked up without trials. A few years later we did the same thing to our citizens because they had Japanese - or suspected Japanese - ancestry. Then we tried to hide it. I was never taught about American concentration camps when I was in school. I found out after I left college. By accident.

At least this time we couldn't hide what we did to so many young men, although we went so far as to call them "detention centers". True, some of them were/are guilty of crimes against our nation. But it was never proven. That's the problem. And what frightened me most during the eight years of the Bush Administration (the time during with The Visitor takes place) was that even when told by our own judicial system that it was illegal it didn't stop. The only thing which ultimately stopped it was a term limit on a presidential administration.

President Obama frequently invokes President Lincoln's legacy. The message he appears to be trying to send is that he intends to operate similarly. That's good. But we should remember that it was President Lincoln who suspended the rights of certain citizens in order to protect the country. Hopefully, President Obama will not find himself in a similar quandry.

In President Lincoln's famous Gettysburg Address he talks about "the government of the people, by the people, and for the people". After eight years of the Bush Administration, I find myself worrying that that just isn't true anymore.

The Visitor is an excellent movie. It troubles me because it makes me realize things about myself and my country which are not pleasant to acknowledge. Yet if the opportunity arises, I think I shall buy it so I can watch it often.

I realize I have really told you nothing valuable about the movie. The trouble is, I don't know what to say.

5 comments:

jaz said...

Bevie, you had a lot to say that was valuable! Really, really valuable. I loved reading what you thought about the movie. I'm glad you liked it. It's one of those movies that just stayed with me afterwards, thinking about what happened after the movie ended (what would have happened if it were real).

Bevie said...

Thanks. I can't make my strongest point without giving away the movie's ending. Pity.

Thinking about the characters and what happens next is inevitable, I guess, with a movie which makes them seem so real. What haunts me is the question of how many times this, or something like it, did play out in real life.

There has to be a better way to handle immigration than how we're doing it. The problem is, our own laws seem to get in the way of common sense approaches, and the precept of ARP (any reasonable person).

The good news is that this presidential administration appears to be the opposite number of what we just had.

Ms Sparrow said...

Hi Bevie, Just like Jennifer says, the movie stays with you a long time after. I still feel a tinge of sadness but it also had a lot of joy in it. I agree, it is a really good film and I too would like to see it again.

jaz said...

Bevie, I suspect you're right, that this has happened many times in real life. It makes me legitimately torn between writing (where I explore through fiction a lot of the issues I blog about) and the practice of law (where I could help people like Tarek and his mother). That's part of my agitation after finishing my long short story--what am I "supposed" to me doing now.

Thanks again for the comments you left on my blog today. When I get the ugly ones, I want to delete the whole blog, and then I get ones like yours and I think okay, maybe I'll stick around for a bit.

Take care,
Jennifer

Bevie said...

Don't ever quit, Jennifer. I hate it that you have become a target for written sniper attacks. If these are mostly anonymous perhaps you could prevent anonymous comments? That would at least force these drive by commenters to reveal themselves.