Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A Hodge Podge of Photos

I'm supposed to be posting about writing assignments, but I thought I would post some old pictures I found with the one from yesterday's post. I don't have many pictures from my youth. Most were burned with The Old House. Even Mother doesn't have many. Aunt Cile had a ton of pictures, but nobody seems to know what happened to them. Grandma Amy's either. I assume my Aunt Laurie has them, but getting copies may be difficult. People get funny about pictures.

Anyway, this first one is Daddy. We lost that piano when we sold the house, I believe. I remember we didn't have one for a long time. Then Grandma Amy let us bring home the big upright from her house. That was the one Daddy used to make his recordings. Those are lost, too.
.
The house is the "Pink and White House". That's what Helvie and I used to call it. We gave it that name because its colors were - pink and white. We only lived there a year, I think. Maybe two. When I was four and five. That house almost burned, too. I remember Daddy coming into the bedroom and carrying me to his Aunt Julia's house, which was right next door. We kids sat by the windows and watched the firemen. Not a lot of damage, but I remember we lost the electricity for several days. It was cold. Of course.
.



















Pictured to the right is my great-great-Grandfather Ziegler's brother Fred. I don't know that I ever met him, but this is such a cool picture I had to include it. These are the kind of people I am descended from. [smiles]
.
Below is a picture of Grandma Amy - my mother's mother.
I always think of her as a portly little old lady standing about 5'2" with a wonderful sense of humor and the most darling laugh. From looking at this photograph, taking some time in the very early 1900s, I'm guessing she was a bit of a tease. According to my mother and my siblings, that was exactly the case. Grandma liked the boys. Mother didn't like it that she did. Not even after Grandpa died. Mother doesn't believe in remarriage. I think Mother is wrong about that. At the least it is plain Grandma like to laugh.
.















Here are two more pictures of Daddy. The one is Daddy (Daddy is wearing the hat) and his Uncle Gordon, who was either a year older or a year younger than Daddy.
.
The one on with the dog was taken at the house shown above. I believe that is Saber. Right beyind those cars is Aunt Julia's house.
.
.
This picture doesn't really fit with the others, but I included it because it is such a good picture of Helvie when she was perhaps four or five. She is picking at herself, as usual. That's how she got the name Pixie.
.
What a shame so many good pictures were lost - or never taken. That's true for everybody. Most of history is not recorded on photographic paper or in a computer. It's lost, if no one remembers it.
.
There is a theory that when we die, God is going to replay every moment of our life back to us. This will be part of our judgement, to show us why we need forgiveness and to confirm that we have accepted it.
.
I don't know if that's true or not. I do know there are scientists who believe all of our memories are still held chemically some place in or brains.
.
Scenes like these make me wish those theories are true. But I can think of other scenes in which I hope it's not.
.
I'm going to try and hunt down some more pictures.

3 comments:

Ms Sparrow said...

You made a statement that got to me about the pictures that were lost and "the pictures that were never taken". My parents rarely took pictures of us kids. And when I think back, it's as though nothing about our existance was important enough to photograph. I feel sad that we were never able to give our parents cause to feel we were important.

Ms Sparrow said...

BTW how are you able to put old photos in your blog? I would love to do that.

Bevie said...

I have a scanner, so I am able to scan the pictures into my computer. Once there, I use the Blogger picture upload (it's the bluish button just above the text when creating a new post).

I assume the lack of photos wasn't because you and your siblings weren't interesting or important. More likely, it had a lot to do with money, time, and convenience. We have dozens upon dozens of pictures of our son from his pre-school days, but hardly any now. We don't take many pictures anymore.

You make me realize I should.

Thank you.