Thursday, July 23, 2009

Violence Without Consequence

It's been a rough week. For one thing I've been ill. Mostly light-headedness and nausea. That affected my eating habits and I have actually gained weight the past two days. Not falling to the floor anymore, but am still utilizing restroom facilities at increased frequency.

Have had to deal with poor sleeping, too. My beautiful days of getting to sleep before nine and waking again before four are but faint memories in my head. The sun is high in the sky when I get up now, and the household wakes soon after I do. No more blocks of four hours alone time.

We've had enough rain this week I have not bicycled much. And when it hasn't been raining I have needed to remain close to the restroom, so I have avoided going then, too. Not a week for exercise.

Still found plenty of time to laugh, though. Son and I have been watching Star Trek: Next Generation episodes and use the many opportunities to fill in our own sarcastic dialogue. Sometimes we get to laughing so hard we can't talk and our eyes water. It's amazing how many straight lines there are in a single episode. And some characters are much better at delivering them than others. One of our favorite characters to dislike is Wesley Crusher. What a twit. His mother, the doctor, isn't much better. But they provide some the best opportunities for spontaneous dialogue. Other favorites (to make fun of) are Counselor Troi and Captain Picard (even though the captain is one of our favorites).

The Bible tells us "a merry heart doith good like a medicine". Maybe that's why I'm feeling a bit better now than before.

Anyway, the week is slowly winding down. Not everything has gone as I would have liked, but there have been some good moments. Wrote a new story which went over pretty good. Had fun playing mindless games on the computer. There's nothing like mindlessness to calm a troubled mind.

Saw a guy who is important with Best Buy's Geek Squad on a forum the other day. He talked about how the Geeks grew up and invented computer games so the jocks would have someone else to pulverize. Yeah, that's kind of true, isn't. Violence without consequence. How many wizards, genies, haflings, gargoyles, and titans have I sent to their deaths in the past few days? And how many archers, gorgons, skeletons, centaurs, wraiths, and such have I killed? And I've committed no crimes.

It's amazing how much havoc one can create when one is ill. A different way of venting.

2 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

I love mindless games when I feel ill too.

I'm glad you're feeling better now.

Bevie said...

Thanks.