Saturday, November 15, 2008

Getting My Feet Wet - At the Risk of Drowning

Well, I actually submitted something to the Evil Editor blog. It wasn't really an exercise. What was requested were the last five sentences of our novels, short stories, whatever. The actual exercise was to go to someone else's work and add a short beginning. That I did not do. I'm not qualified to do that. Not really.

Anyway, I submitted the endings for both Flames of Hatred and Prophecies of Madatar. They weren't the true endings, for I didn't include the Shatahar Interludes, which are the real endings. And I slightly modified them, to condense them into five sentences. But I didn't expect them to be used. I don't write as well as the others. They were both used.

Both were delightfully funny. Freddie wrote a hilarious beginning to Flames of Hatred (see Evil Editor Extremely Short Story 10). Anonymous wrote a very funny beginning to Prophecies of Madatar (see Evil Editor Extremely Short Story 11). If you do visit the blog you should take the opportunity to read the other submissions. There is some good writing there, and the tongue-in-cheek/sarcastic attitude about things is wonderful.

I did received criticism about how Flames of Hatred ends. Apparently, readers are receiving it like a cheap 1950s serial cliffhanger. There's a line between setting up a sequel and just being silly. I guess I've crossed it. Sigh. More rewriting.

One or two did remark that the writing was nice. Considering the quality of the other writing, to have mine spoken of as "nice" is like finding a one hundred dollar bill on the sidewalk. I'll take it.

No comments: