Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Like Father Like Son

Today is Venting Day, which means I get to post about anything I want. Of course, that's the way it is every day, so I'm not sure why I have a schedule.

As usual, I don't feel like venting on Venting Day. Somehow, knowing it's all right takes some of the joy out of it. Maybe I should rename Wednesdays to "Talk Nice Day". Then you'll read some real venting, I'll wager.

Been meaning to write something for a while now, but just keep getting distracted with other things. Almost did right now, too. Only the new thought flew away as I was writing about Talk Nice Day. When the windows are open it's hard to keep the thoughts inside.

Reminds me of one of the funniest cartoons I've ever seen. Won't be funny reading about it, but I'll tell you anyway.

I believe it was one of those old Merry Melodies or Follow the Bouncing Ball cartoons. Just a series of fifteen second shorts compiled together to fill time. Some of those were hysterical.

Anyway, the skit opens with a man standing by a wall in a room. Behind him is an open window showing a beautiful spring/summer day. Before him is a table. On the table are two things: an elaborate and intricate little circus, complete with tight rope walk, ferris wheels, and merry-go-round; and a cage containing several pigeons.

The man joyfully adjusts some of the circus pieces, sighs with satisfaction, and opens the bird cage so the pigeons can play on the equipment.

The birds all fly out the window.

I love that. It is so great. It's so like my ideas. All of these expectations. And then they just fly away.

Oh, well. Back to what I wanted to write. Another short nothing.

Son has begun his saxophone lessons. They are going very well, by the way. But that is not what I wanted to write. Before his first lesson, we chanced to be driving by the college where his lessons take place. It was a Saturday, and we were on our way home from Como Park. On a whim, I decided to drive onto the Northwestern College campus to see if we could find the fine arts building. As we drove around the campus we chanced to see some people out on the veranda of one of the buildings. There were three: a beautiful bride in a flowing gown of white; a handsome groom in a shiny black tuxedo; and a photographer. Nobody else.

At this point Son speaks up.

Not exactly packing them in, are they?

That's my boy!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

cute!
does your son have his own blog?
does he read yours?

Bevie said...

Yes, and yes. But we don't advertise it. Still, it isn't hard to find.