Friday, July 17, 2009

Ostracized By Summer

We are having one frikkin' cold summer. Most people around here seem to be happy with it. On the television the news and weather crews keep talking about how 'wonderful' it has been. Wonderful? It's frikkin' cold! In July! We should be enduring temps bordering - and sometimes exceeding - 100 degrees. (That's about 38-39 for those you who measure in celsius.)

I guess I make a poor Minnesotan. Born and raised here, I hate cold weather. Even as a young person I seldom went outside in winter. Only when I had to. There was a person (who shall remain nameless) from my past who used to say, "I like winter better than summer. At least in winter you can put on more clothes. There's only so much you can take off." Well thank God for that!

Most Minnesotans complain about the heat in July and August and then b*tch about cold in December and January. Not me. I moan about the cold all year long and never complain about the heat. Even when it's too hot for me. It's such a rare commodity in this state. Of course, now that I'm incredibly fat I cannot tolerate heat at all anymore. But I won't complain. The heat didn't make me fat. I did that on my own. And when I wasn't fat I could tolerate anything.

Used to convince Stephen to play best-of-five sets in tennis when it was 101 degrees. That's how I know he had to have loved me. Stephen was not a hot weather person. He was the one who got me to go out into the snow. (The things we do for love.) But poor Stephen would just be melting in the heat while I sailed through point after point. Our most famous match came on a Saturday in August when it was 102 and not a cloud in the sky. I won in straight sets: 6-0; 6-0; 6-0. The only points Stephen won were my three double-faults. The final point was scored on his weak lob to the net. I rushed forward and smashed the ball to the court. Stephen wearily turned to fetch the ball. When he did I noticed him brush his shoulder. When we got to J's Pizza (a favorite hangout which still exists in Spring Lake Park this day) he had downed a couple of Pepsi Colas he confessed something.

Remember when you hit that last point?

Yeah.

Did you see me brush my shoulder?

Yeah.

Well, just as the ball went past me a bird flew over and sh*t on me. I thought it an appropriate end to the game.

It's been so cold around here I decided to put in a Christmas movie last night. Polar Express. Just out of spite. Of course, I fell asleep just as they reached the North Pole. I do that now when I watch movies at home. Fall asleep. I expect I could put in a movie ten minutes after getting a restful night's sleep and be out again before the thing is half through. I suppose it doesn't help that I watch television while laying in a bed.

No hot weather. Not a fun summer at all.

4 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

I used to love the heat but I can't take it now.

There's so much affection in the stories you tell of you and Stephen.

Bevie said...

Thank you. To be honest, I never gave it much thought at the time. I just new I liked hanging out with him. It wasn't until he was gone that I realized how much he meant to me.

It's a mistake I try not to duplicate now.

Lisa said...

I agree with the 'certain person' - cloths can be added in the winter. I LOVE the snow - love to play in the snow.
I had this image that Minnesota would have had rather cool summers . . . not sure why. So when you say it's been cold there - what is cold?

It's been a coolish summer so far here.
Thursday evening I put my AC on for the first time -mainly because it was humid and I'm a super baby about the heat.

Summer is my least favorite season. I hate to be hot! Even when I work out I prefer to be in a cool room.
my work out area is in my basement so that is rather comfy.

Bevie said...

Growing up in central Minnesota, it was not unusual to have -20 in late December, all of January and most of February.

We hardly get anything below zero now, except up north.

Summers were hot, with 80s being most common, but about a dozen 90-degree days, and even a half dozen over 100 degrees.

Lately, we've been in the 60s.

Don't tell me there isn't climate change.