Sunday, November 16, 2008

Something Old Lives Again

Nearly forty years ago I created a set of characters to star in a series of very short stories entitled: The Furthering Adventures of Eric and Paulette. The stories were all to be done in a satirical, tongue-in-cheek sort of way. If I remember correctly, I only actually wrote one story. I was in high school at the time and submitted it as part of a writing contest. I won honorable mention. I remember being offended when the results were posted because the three winning entries were all poems - and only one was any good. NONE of the stories fared well. I was going to write more but never got around to it. I actually may still have that first Eric and Paulette story in the utility room with all my other historical writing.

Anyway, for some reason I felt like doing it again. Only I didn't want to do Eric and Paulette. I didn't necessarilly feel like being "funny". So I came up with Sassy and Otio. Sassy and Otio may go the way of Eric and Paulette, and maybe they'll get a few stories in. I don't know. But I put together something quick over the last two, three hours and here it is. I have yet to put in any editing. Typically, I will spend three times as much time editing what I wrote as writing it. (And even then it doesn't always - ever - come out well.)


Another in a series of short stories about Sassy Minx, an aspiring writer seeking the gateway to fame and fortune, and Otio Afflatus, an ever eager friend lending support.

Writing From Experience

"So, Sassy. What's the news?"

Sassy left her concentration at the keyboard only long enough to identify her visitor. Then she returned to her intensive typing.

"What? Oh. Hello, Otio. No news. I'm just working on my latest story."

Otio hurried over to the desk and leaned over her shoulder.

"What's this one about?"

Sassy sighed and sat back, taking a rest while her thoughts gathered.

"It's about a young girl who wants to be a waitress, but all of the restaurants in town have gone fast food and now nobody dines in."

"A girl wants to be a waitress? Sassy, that's hardly literature."
"That's not all it's about, stupid. It's about her learning the ins and outs of owing a restaurant so she can start her own business and be free to live as she wants."

"I'm not sold."

"And lots of sex."

"I suppose that's something."

"What do you mean, 'you suppose'? Everyone likes to read about sex. You read sex books all the time."

"Yeah, well."

"Well, what?"

"Well, you're the one who's always saying good writers write what they know."

"So?"

"So, what do you know about sex?"

Sassy turned to Otio with indignatio.

"What are you saying?"

"Come on, Sassy. When was the last time you had sex?"

Sassy got up and pushed Otio away as she stomped to the kitchen.

"When ws the first time you ever did?"

"Oh, come on, Sassy. Don't be like that. You know what I mean."

"Yes, I do. You're always trying to find out if I've been in bed with anyone. And I keep telling you it's none of your business."

"I thought we were friends."

Sassy opened the refrigerator and took out a carton of milk.

"We were."

"Come on. Don't be mad. You don't really hate me now, do you?"

Otio came close and put his hands on Sassy's shoulders. Sassy turned to him and pushed him away.

"What do you want anyway? Why are you here?"

"I came over to keep you company. I thought I might be able to help you with your new story. You do need help, you know. And I think I can help."

Sassy turned and began pouring herself a glass of milk.

"Not by having sex with me, you can't."

"Don't be mean. You're always mean to me, Sassy."

"That's what friends are for, silly."

"Yeah? Well, sometimes I can't help feeling that maybe you don't like me."

Sassy looked Otio directly in his eyes.

"Sometimes, I don't." Otio recoiled as if struck. Then Sassy smiled and pulled his face down to kiss his cheek. "But we're always friends."

Otio smiled.

"Does that mean I can have some milk?"

"As long as you plan on getting it from the carton."

Sassy went back to her computer while Otio poured his own glass of milk and returned the carton to the refrigerator. She studied the screen as if it held some clue to the inspiration she so eagerly sought. When Otio return she felt more obliging to his criticism.

"So, you don't think I can write sex scenes?"

Otio paused before answering. When he spoke he was cautious.

"No. I don't."

"And you can?"

"I've read a lot on the subject. And I've seen enough pictures."

Sassy grunted in disgust.

"Pictures. That hardly gives you experience. Have you even seen a woman undress for real?"

"Yes."

"I mean recently."

"Yes."

Now it was Sassy's turn to be shocked. But she wasn't convinced Otio was telling the truth.

"When? Where?"

"Right here. Last weekend."

"What? Oh. Yeah. I forgot."

Sassy blushed at the memory of Otio walking in on her, Alana Cole, Erin Cliff, Brittany Steel, Keely Korts and Reaghan Connors last Friday evening, all drunk and dancing about the living room in their underwear. She and Otio did not have sexual relationship, but she had given him a key to her house so he could look in on her two cats when she was away, and she had given him permission to just 'come in' whenver he came over.

"You know," said Otio, "sometimes I don't wonder if you don't get your sexual satisfactions from those girlfriends of yours. Is that what you were doing Friday night? You never did say."

"It's none of your business what we were doing," Sassy said.

It wasn't his business, but that wasn't the reason she wasn't telling him. Generally, there weren't too many things the two didn't share with each other (sex being on that list). The real reason Sassy never said what they had been doing was because she couldn't quite remember. They had been doing some kind of drinking game. Some time after that they had undressed. Why, she didn't know. But they hadn't done anything like what Otio was suggesting. That she knew. Well, she thought she did.

Otio chuckled and sat down in the guest chair Sassy kept near the computer. It wasn't overly comfortabale, being just another office chair like the one she used.

"Well, I wouldn't blame you if you did. Some of those girls are quite hot. So, are you?"

"None of your business."

Otio laughed aloud. He liked to tease, especially about sexual things. Sassy was used to it and generally let him push his humor for a bit before she cut him off.

"Maybe not. But I can't help thinking about that Keely Korts. Boy, would I like to get into a bed with her."

"I bet you would."

Otio leaned toward her.

"So, is she as good in bed as she looks in her underwear?"

"None of your business."

Otio sat back and roared with laughter as Sassy blushed at the ramifications her answer had intimated. With a huff she got to her feet and grabbed Otio's arm.

"Come!"

"What? Where are you taking me? To the bedroom?"

"No! You are leaving. I have a story to write and you aren't helping. Get out, and don't come back for at least four hours. Got it?"

Otio held his hands up as to ward an attack.

"Okay, Okay," he said. Then he became solemn. "I suppose this is one of those times you don't like me, huh?"

Sassy rolled her eyes. Then she pulled his face close again and kissed his cheek.

"We're friends. Now get the hell out of here!"

Otio left with a smile on his face. Sassy closed the door with deliberation, but did not slam it. She took a deep breath and returned to her cmoputer. she closed the project about the waitress and did - File/New. Then she began writing. Sherise Winkel woke t ofind she was not alone in her bed. She opened her eyes to find it wasn't her bed. Where was she? Why was her mind muddled? Slowly, fearfully, she turned to see who was laying next to her. There was no mistaking that wavy dark hair. It was Sigrid Thalssom. How had she wound up in bed with Sigrid Thalssom? Sherise shook the muddled thoughts away and tried to remember the previous evening.


No comments: