Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Forced Solitude

This is the second day of my son's trip up north as part of a school trip to learn about life in the wilderness. Before he left I worried about him becoming homesick. In his entire life he has only spent three or four days total away from home - and never two in a row. It turns out I'm the one who's sick. I miss him. The house seems so empty without him. Perhaps that's because it's just me and the cat now - and the cat is sleeping in the other chair.

Not that I mind being alone. Most of the time I don't mind it at all. I like it. I can get lots of things done - or nothing done. It depends on how I'm feeling. With my son gone, I don't really feel like doing anything. I took a nap earlier. Sleeping passes the time very quickly. I have a schedule of his activities. Yesterday he went on a bog trek. Sounds like fun. It's cold and snowing, but he kind of likes that. I'm a hot weather person. Today he was involved in a two hour wilderness lunch. I'm guessing that must mean they walked out into the woods to search for food. When they got back he did orienteering. I'm not sure what that is. It's snowing again today. There's freezing rain around the Twin Cities. My son is about one hundred miles north. It's snowing there, too. Too cold for rain. I expect he's having a good time. I hope so.

I don't like being alone when I am not supposed to be. I guess I'd better get used to it. My son is growing up, and he is going to be away from home more, and more, and more. I remember when I was his age. I was hardly ever at home if I could be someplace else. I would ride my bike until dark. If I was at home, I played in the yard alone, or shut myself in my room. Mother could be - difficult. My son has been spared that. He actually likes it at home. Or, he did. He's growing up. He's finding out the world is a bigger and better place than home and school. God, I'm feeling old.

No comments: