Sunday, November 15, 2009

What We Should Have Done

Well, yesterday I showed you one of the things we tried selling through our gift business that nobody (except me) wanted to buy. Today, I thought I would show you what actually is selling.

I hope I don't get sued or anything, but I'm referencing the Collections Etc. catalog we got in the mail the other day. It's got all kinds of cool things in it. "Over 1,500 Items - $14.99 or less!". They've got a website, so you can view all of their stuff.

I enclose a scan of the cover. Love the FREE SHIPPING. We tried that, too. Unfortunately, it didn't help. But maybe we should have tried selling the same kinds of things these guys are selling. Perhaps we would now have a viable business and still be in our house.


You know, if I thought I could look like this woman I would wear pajamas. I would love to look like her. Not sure Spouse would be keen on it, though. But the sad truth is I more resemble the snowman on the tricycle.
Oh, if only we had had the good sense to sell this charmer. We'd be rolling in the dough. Or in something.

But, we didn't. So instead of being in front of the feet we're behind them. Get it?

5 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

But the snowman is so cute!

Bevie said...

That's a term not used to describe me in a long time.

Ms Sparrow said...

I used to get that catalog but I haven't seen it for a while. When you see the items that people buy you realize there's just no accounting for people's tastes! How many TV and movie-makers have been stunned by the unexpected success or failure of a production?

Bevie said...

I can relate to that. We offered quality merchandise, but couldn't sell it at all. Sometimes I think I just priced everything too LOW. Standard practice for small merchants is to "keystone" their products. This means they charge twice what they paid for it. Larger retails, such as Wal-Mart, force manufacturers to sell at ridiculously low prices and then keystone the key keystone.

In other words: If Wal-Mart is selling it for $20, they probably only paid $5 to get it. When I sold something for $10 I probably paid $6, $7, or even $8 for it. (And at the garage sale I often paid $20, $30 or $40 for it.)

Lisa said...

that mat is hilarious!