Sunday, November 1, 2009

Treat or Tricks

Well, the entries are all in the voting has begun. You have ONE WEEK to visit Writtenwyrdd's blog and vote on the Halloween Contest entries. Follow this Link.

Mine is there but I'm not going to tell you which one it is. I haven't read them all yet, but I've already found two I like. Won't say if one is mine, but clearly the competition is going to be tough. Some very good writers have made submissions.

Meanwhile, I am not holding my breath about winning.

It was Halloween last night. My costume was to dress up as someone intelligent. Scary, huh?

Actually, we did not celebrate Halloween. Celebrations cost money. We didn't even buy candy to hand out, which is just as well. We got one knock on the door all evening. I guess in a low-rent building parents don't figure they're children are likely to get much. So the children must have wandered the streets of the neighborhood, frequenting the houses. Had we purchased candy we would now be eating it all ourselves. The knock may not even have been a Trick-or-Treater (we didn't answer the door).

I remember Halloweens from when I was young. My costumes were always home made. Sometimes my mother would purchase a plastic mask, but most of the time everything was home made. I went as ghosts, hobos (it wasn't politically incorrect in those days), indians, fat ladies, cats and other things.

Back in the 60s candy was cheap and people would hand out loads of it. Despite living in the country we often made great hauls. Mother would put us in her car and drive us around the area, hitting the four small towns which made up the school district. She may have put fifty miles or more on her vehicle. But gas was only thirty cents a gallon back then.

The best treats were candy bars. Milky Way, Three Muskateers, Snickers, Baby Ruth, and Hersheys were the best. Didn't much care for Butterfingers. Candy corn was another biggie. And home made popcorn balls and red delicious apples. The idea of lunatics putting crud inside treats wasn't known until the end of my run.

Gayanne, Helvie, and I would come home and toss our stuff onto bed sheets. We would sort it all out and make trades. Generally, there wasn't anything left by Thanksgiving.

It's different now. Home made treats are a thing of the past. Nobody wants to be accused of poisoning someone. But those things are most likely to get tossed anyway. Candy must be factory wrapped now.

Sometimes I miss the fun of Halloween. Of discovering where teachers lived (so we could avoid those areas the rest of the year). Of seeing how others didn't have much more than we did, or perhaps had a lot more. It was quite an experience and an education.

It's a thing of the past for me now. Even Son is too old to go out, and we can't even hand out treats. Not that anyone came anyway.

4 comments:

Tana said...

I remember the plastic masks! Those were fun, they came in cool boxes with little windows. I always wanted to be wonder woman!

Bevie said...

As I recall they had an odd smell to them. And the rubber bands were stapled onto the sides. Generally, one of three things happened: the rubber band broke; the rubber band slipped out of the staple; the corner of the mask tore.

fairyhedgehog said...

We didn't have trick or treat when I was young. My sister and a friend and I used to dress up as witches and run up and down but we never knocked on anyone's door.

Bevie said...

Sounds like fun.