Tuesday, June 2, 2009

I'm Not Where I Was - Is That Good

Today is Writing Assignments Day. It dates back to last fall when I only had two blogs: this one and The Great Sea. By the end of the year I would have a third blog, SOF-The People, which has now been renamed, Tales From The Great Sea. In January I would create Cat in the Buff, and at the end of March, Legion of On-Line Super Heroes. And April would see me creating Faith in Forgiveness.

Six blogs. And I've ideas for a couple more. As the saying goes, "Good Lord willing and the creeks don't rise," I might have seven or eight, or even more, in a year's time.

What amazes me about this is not that I have six blogs, or that I can come up with ideas for six more. What amazes me is that I have even one blog. Had you told me a year ago I would be blogging to the world I would have thought you out of your frikkin' mind. I didn't blog. I didn't chat. I hardly used the internet at all. It was "dangerous".

Not exactly sure what it was I was afraid of, but I was afraid of it. Got into it quite by accident. You see, last year I believed I had a great story waiting to be published. I sent a query letter to a New York agent. Who promptly ignored me. After waiting two weeks past the agent's self-appointed deadline for responding I wrote him again. This time I got a response in two days. In short, it read: Get the h*ll away from me! And don't come back!

Daunted, I still tried again. This time not in New York. My new agent find was different. She had a much happier website, showing off her Authors. The problem: she only accepted electronic submissions. Email. I wasn't keen on email any more than I was on the internet itself. But I wanted to be published, so I sent the email query.

She responded within less than a day, and although it was a form letter rejection, I didn't get the "leave me the h*ll alone" feeling. For this reason, I decided to write her back and thank her for her time and prompt attention to my query. Having done that, I told her she could then delete the email without reading the rest because I was going to vent some of my disappointment.

She may, or may not, have deleted the email. However, not before she read it in its entirety. Proving my suspicions of her were on the mark, she wrote me back. What she did was direct me to the Evil Editor blog, where she said I would get the opportunity to learn a LOT. So I did. And I did.

My visit and experience there led me to create this blog and The Great Sea. Part of what I learned was that if I was twice the writer I was, I wouldn't be half as good as I believed. That is, in fact, what I consider to be the most beautiful thing about Evil Editor's blog: one gets the truth. It isn't for everybody. I was in tears after my first shredding, and sorely tempted to give up writing entirely. But something told me that this was how the big boys and girls played, and that if I wanted to join in the "fun" I was going to have to tough it out. So I do. But I know some people cannot take criticism not couched in salve. It's too much like running outside to get the mail wearing only sweatpants and a t-shirt and discovering it's about twenty degrees colder than you thought - and the ground is frosty wet.

What I have found in my blogging are precious stones of incredible worth. The people I have met, here, on my other blogs, and on other peoples' blogs, are amazing. Most are incredibly caring people, doing their best to help everyone they can. I have not personally had to interact with anyone unpleasant, although I have seen those people show up on other blogs. Someone I care about was driven away from their blog because of such treatment.

I have been fortunate. All has gone well for me. I do not get hundreds of visitors each day, nor even dozens, for that matter. But those who do come are wonderful people, and I am glad for the visits whether I get comments or not.

What a shame I can't get paid for this. It's what satisfies my soul. Writing. Talking. Blabbing. Being silly. Being stupid. Being inane. Occasionally having something of worth to say, but not very often. (Speaking of that, if you want to read something really demented, visit Tales From The Great Sea. But I warn you, it's kind of sick.)

And you know what? After seven+ months of blogging, I still don't know what I was afraid of.

10 comments:

Stacy said...

I'd say it's good. You have new friends, and that's never a bad thing. Everything starts small and then gets bigger. Keep writing and blogging!

fairyhedgehog said...

I was really interested to read how you started out.

I've been around in cyberspace for so long that I can't remember what it felt like starting out. Except I do remember using Compuserve and the first time I realised that we (the whole family!) were chatting to someone who lived in America. It was amazing! We were so excited.

It still gives me a thrill today but I have to say that the rush isn't as great. Meeting people from the net in real life is probably the greates thrill.

Ms Sparrow said...

I'm constantly amazed at your output. You're the most prolific writer I know. Even more impressive is that you are a good writer, insightful and creative.
We are fortunate that you discovered blogging as a place to display your talents.

Bevie said...

Thanks Freddie. Yes, even I was only eleven pounds at birth. Now I'm almost 370. What a pity I can't eat cyberfood, huh?

Bevie said...

I remember Compuserve. I was on that for a short time in the 80s, I think. Maybe early 90s. Just for a while.

The disappointing thing about conversations with people across the world is that everyone needs to sleep, so the windows of opportunity are short.

Maybe some day I'll get enough money to bring my family to England, or Australia.

Bevie said...

Thanks J. Now, if we could only convince an agent or two of my abilities. And then an editor.

Jennifer said...

Bevie, I hope you keep plugging away at all of your goals--the best part is that now you seem to be enjoying the journey. Okay, maybe not the treadmill, but the rest!

Sorry for being so silent. I had a potentially serious health scare over the last month that turned out to be nothing, thank God, and in the midst of that I discovered that the same jerk who polluted my old blog had found my temporary blog. I knew that was possible--it's why I often commented just as Jennifer instead of by signing in with the temp. avatar at other people's sites. So anyway, with the medical stuff it was all too much and I blew the temp. site up, too. Then I just needed to stay away from the whole blogosphere for a bit.

I asked Cat email the people she knew, but I just remembered that of course she probably wouldn't have your email. Sorry.

I have no idea if I will ever blog again, and I sure am not commenting like I used to. But every now and then I'll pop in and see how things are going. Good luck with the sale and the move and I hope this year brings everything you hope for!!

Bevie said...

Jennifer, I'm so glad to hear from you. I was concerned. Glad the health thing turned out to be a false alarm.

I was going to offer that you challenge the idiot to come to Faith in Forgiveness and try his stuff there. Thought maybe I could keep him occupied so you could enjoy life again.

You don't have to blog under your own name, you know. Bevie is my pen name, not my real name. Your voice should not be silenced. I need to hear it, for one. You're the only one of your faith I know.

Hope you stay well, however you choose to proceed. I suppose I should quick checking your blogsite in the forlorn hope you will return?

Take care. And do come back.

Jennifer said...

Oh good, I'm glad you got the comment. I was feeling bad about disappearing.

I may use that site again, but not now and not in the near future. I'm focusing on non-blog writing and of course in a couple of weeks the kids will be out for summer. So maybe in the fall I will feel like having at it again. And I assume you'll keep your many blogs going no matter where you end up.

It's a lot of pressure to be the only Muslim you know. :) I'm kidding, kind of. Hope I represent well.

Take care, Bevie. Can't wait to hear how your agent hunt goes. I saw your re post at EE and it looked good.

Bevie said...

Thanks. But it's been almost two months and I haven't written a final query for submission. The fear of rejection is making me reject myself. I'm out of options after this, and it frightens me to be up against the wall so.

Don't mean to put the Muslim pressure on you, but without a real person to talk with my only information is news media - the most unreliable form of communication known to humankind.

Besides, I like you. You've always treated me well.

Then I'll keep a focus on that blog in hopes the root will sprout new growth.

Glad to know you're about.

Oh, and I've been doing a lousy job substituting for you.