Tuesday, January 12, 2010

What We Say and What We Do

I just saw another PSA about getting flu vaccinations. I'm old enough now to remember when vaccinations were given free to everyone in school. There were no fees based on ability to pay or inability to pay. One day the students would show up to school and find it was vaccination day. Polio was the biggie back then, but I think there were others, too.

How times have changed. There are places where the poorest of the poor can go to get free vaccinations, but even the regular poor have to pay now. Spouse and Son got vaccinated last fall. I skipped it. But between the two of them it cost us about fifty dollars.

Money has certainly become the driving factor in our society. It crushes all other considerations - at least, in the minds of many. There was a time in this country when doing what was right was important enough to spend the money. But the conservative elements of our society have become incredibly powerful. And learned. They know exactly how to bog down any kind of legislation which might actually help people. Like trial lawyers who muddy up the truth with a barrage of irrelevant facts which confuse the jury.

As a country we say getting these vaccinations are important. But not so important to do what was done in the past: provide them free of charge to every student in school. Is this expensive? Of course it is. Very expensive. But so is having unvaccinated children all over the country. So are the two wars we are in - without any clear plan of ending. (Without an idea of what constitutes victory or defeat how can it end?)

We say it's important for everyone to have health coverage. But we won't spend the money to make it happen.

We say it's important people don't use cell phones and/or computers while they're driving. And yet we find no problem with new cars entering the market with built-in dashboard computers, telephones, and even television sets.

We Americans are probably the largest group of hypocrites the earth has ever seen.

Sorry. But these commercials annoy me. And I'm sick of winter. And I'm broke.

Have a good day.

5 comments:

Tana said...

Touche. I feel the same way.

Lee Wind, M.Ed. said...

Yeah - things like this drive me nuts, too. Especially the bit about healthcare - which I really think should be a right for all, not a privilege of having money.
Namaste,
Lee

Bevie said...

Hi, Lee. I think this is your first comment on one of my blogs. Welcome. And you need not bow to me. I am hardly worth that. But I do appreciate the gesture. Thank you.

I grew up believing my generation would be the generation which would finally put prejudices behind us. I was so deceived. People have never really changed.

We find those who are different - and frequently less able to defend themselves - and we go out of our way to make their lives hell on earth. This is true of the poor in every culture, and various other "groups", too.

But we always "talk" a good game.

Lisa said...

my town offered free H1N1 vaccines to anyone that came to their clinic. They did ask people to bring their insurance card, if they had one.

Bevie said...

It's good to know basic human decency hasn't totally left our country. Kudos to your town.