Thursday, January 21, 2010

It Sounds Easy

Faith in oneself. Believing in oneself. This makes an excellent foundation for achievement and success. How man times (as an adult) have I been told to "just believe" in myself, as though this were such a simple thing to do.

I expect that for people who grew up being told, shown, and supported in doing this it IS an easy thing to do. Something that comes as naturally as breathing. And these people are completely confused, frustrated, and sometimes even disgusted, by those who "won't" do it.

What these people fail to understand is that believing in oneself begins young, not old. Not that it can't begin when one is older. It's just that it's a h*ll of a lot harder.

As adults we either use what we learned as young people to help us continue to grow, or we have to overcome what we learned as young people to grow. The child who is told by parents (especially), teachers (also important), family and friends that they are special, gifted, intelligent, entertaining, athletic, creative, stupid, useless, unloved, unwanted, is going to become an adult who believes these things deeply in their heart. And what we believe deeply in our hearts will greatly affect how we live our lives.

One of the reasons my family has been 'unhappy' with me is because I kept my son from them. We seldom visited, and only once left Son in the care of any of them. My reason (and it was my reason)? I did not want my family to do to my son what it had done to me - and itself. What I saw it do to nieces and (especially) nephews. Disguised as humor, the constant barrage of harassment would have destroyed Son. He's a gentle sort. I didn't believe in my own ability to successfully combat the environment. So I kept Son out of it. The price I paid is that I went lower and lower in the eyes of my family. A price well worth the reward.

You see, Son has something I do not. Son believes in himself.

I know I have a high I.Q. I know I have ability in this and in that. And yet I find myself held back by a very strong conviction in my soul that none of that matters. I still can't do it.

Losing a negative self-esteem is a lot like losing weight. Those not suffering have a difficult time understanding why it's so hard to change. But it is. A good many of us never do.

What's the solution?

I have only one thought. Stop looking at fat people as "fat" people. Look at them as individual people. You might find they're worthy of your friendship after all. And the same goes for the broken down. What often happens is that "fat" people don't eat so poorly when they're around people who just accept them for who they are. And the same goes for the insecure. It has been true for me anyway. When I'm talking with my friends (all online right now) I find I'm not thinking about snacking, drinking pop or second helpings. And I find myself inspired to try again after my latest failure. When I'm with people reminding me of my weight and my failures all I want to do is find a place to hide and eat a bowl of chips with a liter of Pepsi.

My friends have not made me thin (yet). Nor am I a stalwart of confidence. But I do like my friends. They make me happy. Which is something I relish far more than success.

6 comments:

Stacy said...

For me what works is doing before believing. I often find that just putting the proverbial one foot in front of the other often reaps rewards.

Bevie said...

It does. But conditioned failure is difficult to overcome, and getting past inevitable missteps can be an ordeal.

fairyhedgehog said...

My friends mean a lot to me too. There are some wonderful people in this online community.

Bevie said...

Yes, there are. On my Great Sea blog I talk about someone who went so far as to give me a computer. That's just amazing!

Ms Sparrow said...

You show great wisdom in keeping your son from being exposed to the toxic forces within your relatives.

I was raised with the constantly reinforced knowledge that I was nothing special. Try as I might, I can't escape that identity. So I buy all my clothes at thrift shops and never wear jewelry or anything fancy. It has been ingrained in me so thoroughly that I can't help earnestly believing I don't deserve anything nice. I feel self-conscious and phony if I do.

Bevie said...

I understand completely. And having met you in real life I must say it is a shame, because you are a very worthy person.

If wisdom and experience are kind of the same thing then I accept the label. Having lived through it myself I knew what it would be like. I saw no good reason to put him through that.