Thursday, January 14, 2010

Recharging the Spirit

Been sitting here sifting through what I've actually written (on the computer) thus far this year. Nearly finished compiling the list. If you're interested, I'm up to fifteen separate pieces, but only around 6,000-words. I've been writing in short bursts. Poetry. Posts. Things like that.

I had Playlist going and along comes a song I haven't heard in a long time. Amazing Grace. This was an instrumental, done with bag pipes. This song, perhaps more than any other I have ever heard in my life, speaks to me.

This is what I got from Wikpedia: ""Amazing Grace" is a Christian hymn written by English poet and clergyman John Newton (1725–1807) and published in 1779."

Newton had been a slave trader.

Generally, I prefer the song in bag pipes, with perhaps an orchestra background. But there are lyrics, and it is the lyrics which make the haunting bag pipe sound so real. If you do not know them, here they are:

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me.
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures.

Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.

When we've been here ten thousand years
Bright shining as the sun.
We've no less days to sing God's praise
Than when we've first begun.

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

At various time in my life I have become quite "full of myself", and ultimately something will occur to bring me back down to reality. This song is one of those things which can do it very quickly. When I hear the music I think of the lyrics. And the lyrics remind me to consider myself in comparison with the beauty of others, and the idea. I do not measure up well to either. And I am gratefully humbled.

When I was younger I didn't particularly care to think of others as better at anything. Not acts of physical ability, and certainly not in intelligence. I knew I wasn't beautiful, but I liked to believe I was. (This is why I do not keep mirrors about my place.)

I am older now. To children, I am practically ancient. To retirees I am still a "kid". No matter. One thing I have learned in my years is that I don't have to be "the best" anymore. It's enough to be who I am - and that is a learning process only recently begun.

Many, I suppose, look at the lyrics of Amazing Grace and see depression and self-abasement. That is certainly there, but it isn't what draws me. What draws me is the forgiveness. The love. I am fast discovering that that is all that matters to me anymore. To be forgiven - by God and by people - for the mistakes I make, which are many. To be loved - by God and by people - for just being who I am, even while I am still learning myself who that is.

It is a beautiful song and it always makes me cry. At least on the inside, if I manage to keep my tears in check.

The song tells me there is a future. And I should embrace it. It's like - coming home after a long and disastrous journey and finding open arms accepting me back. Everything is going to be all right. That's what's amazing. It is.

I hope you are having a good day.

Here is a YouTube link to Judy Collins singing Amazing Grace with a background choir. Probably the only acapella song I can honestly say reaches me.


9 comments:

Lisa said...

i think the song mainly makes me sad because of the music, the words are beautiful. Showing someone who sees something more than themselves.
As I often hear it at funerals, I've tend to associate it with more death -hence even more sad.
Even as I read it - I read as I would have if I were singing it. sniff sniff sniff

Bevie said...

Yes. I hope this song is played at my funeral. Assuming there will be one.

Another song I hope gets sung is "Friends", by Elton John. That song makes me think of Stephen. And when I die we'll be together again. At long last.

Stacy said...

Bevie, can you direct me to a link of that version? I'm a bit of a collector of that song.

Hope you're doing well. . .

Bevie said...

Hi Stacy. I don't have an exact link. The Judy Collins version I got from YouTube. The bagpipes version I got on http://www.playlist.com. Bother were found by searching for Amazing Grace.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Tana said...

I'm amazed at the number of projects you've started this year. I'm struggling to start just one but I do feel like I want to nail the plot before I dive into 80K words or so. Perhaps I should try short stories.

Bevie said...

I never worry about the plot - until such time that it fails to show up.

If I have an idea without a real plot I just start writing and let the characters tell me what's going on. I let them talk with each other, or think about something. Generally, I will have a plot pretty quickly. If not, I drop the project and move on to something else.

For me, storytelling is so fluid that I often change things several times before I reach the end. I never write to an outline.

Ms Sparrow said...

If you get a chance, you should listen to Susan Boyle singing Amazing Grace on her new album.
She also sings a beautiful version of How Great Thou Art.

She is the dowdy English lady who was discovered on a talent show and became a huge sensation.

Stacy said...

Okay, thanks Bevie. I'll check that out and see what I can find.

Hope all is well . . .

Bevie said...

Thanks