Friday, May 29, 2009

Movie Review

Rented some movies last night. Only 99-cents, so it wasn't a big deal. Three were cartoon episodes of Underdog, and two were classic movies from the late 50s and early 60s.


Last night we watched The Miracle Worker, starring Anne Bancroft and Patty Duke (in her first major movie role), made in 1962.

To those of my generation the story is familiar, and probably most, if not all, have even seen the film. It is the story of Helen Keller who, at the age of 19-months, developed a serious illness which left her blind and deaf. The movie is an account of how Annie Sullivan taught Helen how to use sign language and communicate with and understand the world around her.

It is a moving story, well-written and well-acted by all concerned. We see real people with real problems. There are no heroes or villains. Just people. Real people portrayed as real people with real failings, hopes, strengths, and weaknesses. Ultimately, it is a story of love and persistence, and the rewards which come from suffering through ordeals.

What makes the movie so much better is that it does not rely on special effects of any kind. True, I'm sure the entire film was done on a stage lot in California and not on location, but the background, the house, the things around the people are not the focus. The people are so compelling.

Although several characters walk through the story, five stand out. Helen and Annie, of course, and Helen's parents, played by Inga Swensen and Victor Jory. There is also an older brother to Helen, played by Andrew Prine. These characters demonstrate the love and problems which exist in nearly every family to some degree, and how adding a new element (Annie) can exacerbate these things to a fateful conclusion.

It is a movie worth watching, even if you are the action-adventure type. There's no political posturing, or overt social statement to make, compared to anything of the like made today.

Rent it, if you can. Or borrow it from your local library. It's only 106 minutes.

2 comments:

Ms Sparrow said...

The Heller Keller story has been told many times in movies, on TV and on the stage. In fact, Patty Duke, who played Helen in the movie went on to play Anne Sullivan later on. The story has such enduring interest, it never fades from the media. It's much like The Diary of Anne Frank in that regard.

I remember that I really hated Victor Jory as her father when I last saw that movie many years ago. I'll have to watch it again and see if my perspective has changed/matured.

Bevie said...

I saw the remake in which Patty Duke played the other role. It wasn't nearly as good as this version.

I didn't like Victor Jory back in the 60s when I first saw this. But last night I found I believed I kind of understood where he was coming from. Didn't mean I agreed with him, but I think I understood. The Keller parents were suffering from their own guilt and despair, which affected how they related to others. That's how I see it now anyway.