Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Tis the Season

Okay, so I did attend an extended family function on Sunday. My mother hosted a Christmas get together at her place. She lives in a 3-floor retirement community. She was able to reserve the common room for about three hours.

Spouse had to work, but Son and I attended. For the most part it was all right. Spent a lot of time sitting with nothing to do and no one to talk with. I'm just not aggressive that way. The older I get the less I figure anyone wants to talk with me, so I virtually never interject myself, other than to say hello. Especially with people I have not seen in a long time.

My aunt and uncle I have not seen since last winter, when mother had cancer surgery. My one niece I saw last spring, and I saw my sister just a week ago. Other than that it's been years. Some of the young ones I have never seen.

My nephew's wife came up to Son and me and told Son she didn't think he remembered her. She could have said that about me, too. I hadn't a clue who she was until she told Son.

When we left Son made an interesting comment.

"Why is everyone in our family fat? Including the children?"

Well, everyone is a bit of an exaggeration. I did a tally. Only two out of three. My younger sister's family are all acceptably thin, and my brother's youngest son is downright skinny. So those seven were not fat. And Son is not fat. And there was another little boy who was not fat. But the rest of us? Yeah, I'm afraid so.

It wasn't that way forty years ago. Then, the ratio was at least reversed. It may even have been greater in favor of thin and skinny. Times have changed. So have lifestyles.

But now it is time for our Christmas season. Son gets off school in a few minutes and does not have to return until January. He's looking forward to that. I have mixed feelings about it. His being around means a lot less time on the computer for me, and even less writing.

Oh, well. I like having Son about. Mostly.

2 comments:

Ms Sparrow said...

I have learned (after many years of silently sitting on the sidelines at family functions) that the way to socialize is to be interested in all the other people.
Waiting for them to be interested in talking to you is pointless and boring. I have a cousin who is always fascinated by everything all the relatives are doing and makes a point of talking to everyone at get-togethers. Needless to say, we all have great affection for her. I keep pushing myself to be like her because it's obviously worth it!

fairyhedgehog said...

I hope you have a good Christmas.