Wednesday, December 2, 2009

I Don't Always Bring My Mind Along When I Go Places

I did something particularly brilliant last Saturday. Son and I went to St. Cloud in the morning, and when we returned I neglected to shut the door on the car. So what? you say. Well, the car was in a garage and I shut it in with the door open. So? I had no cause to drive that car until yesterday afternoon. Oh.

So, one minute before I am supposed to leave to bring Son home from school I have no vehicle. Not that it would be the end of the world if he had to walk back to the apartment, but he's expecting me to be at the school when he steps outside at 3:11 p.m. It is now 2:50 p.m.

There is really only one quick solution and I take it. I walk the one mile to the Outlet Mall where Spouse has parked the other car. I get in and drive to the school. I am only five minutes late. Reason? I always plan on arriving ten minutes early.

Upon returning to the apartment I used the working vehicle to jump start the other. Then Son and I brought the car back to the Outlet Mall and walked to the apartment from there. Not brilliant. What we should have done was wait until Spouse was off work and just drove there at that time. Wasn't thinking.

My legs still hurt from the short two mile walk. I know many of you walk further than that every day. I don't walk half that distance any day. My ankles hurt, especially in the front.

Today I tested the Eclipse again. No go. I didn't let the car run long enough and so the battery failed to charge.

I don't particularly enjoy being stupid. For one thing, having an exceptionally high I.Q. I find I am quite intolerant of myself when I am. And yet it seems I do more stupid things than people with half my I.Q. Why is that, I wonder? Clearly, I.Q. has nothing to do with being smart. I've said that all along. All I.Q. does is indicate the speed at which one learns. But if one fails to learn then I.Q. isn't worth diddly.

The good news is that it wasn't that long ago that I left the car lights on for an hour or two. The battery went dead after that, too. Batteries don't like it when people do these things to them. It doesn't take many times before they just decide to quit and not hold a charge at all. Then it's $100+ to buy a new one.

I don't really need that. But stupid does as stupid is.

6 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

That's a pain Bevie.

You seem to love to be hard on yourself! I've left car lights on before now. The only reason I don't do it currently is that my car switches its own lights off. I can easily imagine not shutting the door properly and getting the same result.

Bevie said...

I learned a long time ago to beat myself up severely. It was the only way to prevent the rest of the family from doing it first.

Tana said...

Aww, sorry. But I must say your voice is so engaging, I never want your posts to end!

Stacy said...

Don't feel bad. I've misunderstood so many things this semester I'm beginning to wonder if I have a brain tumor or perhaps early onset Alzheimer's. Seriously.

Bevie said...

Thanks, T.Anne. I often find myself thinking about slipping away, but I can never stay away long.

Bevie said...

I hear you, Stacy. I call the condition partzeimers.