Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Bottom's Looking Bigger and Bigger All the Time

Edited at bottom:

So I just got an appointment to go in to be checked so I can renew my diabetes medicine. Now we're waiting on a call back to tell us how much the whole thing is going to cost us.

That's US, as in WE. NOT U.S. of A.

So far we have been told it will cost $150 to show up and leave. Nothing done. Nothing checked. Just boom! We're out $150 for gracing them with my presence. I knew people didn't like me, but I didn't realize it was going to cost me $150 just to have them look at me.

Once I'm there someone (or more) will take my pulse and blood pressure. This is extra now. Not covered by the $150. And since this is a diabetic appointment someone will need to draw blood from my arm. Someone else will need to test it. And it will need to be reported. Not free either.

As things sit now I would not be surprised if we were told it's going to cost us $300. Or MORE. If we're lucky it will only be about $250.

At $250 my decision becomes difficult. That's a lot of money. With milk at $3 a gallon and bread at $1.25 a loaf and butter at $4 a pound that's still a lot of groceries.

The telephone/internet bill is about $70. That's three months worth. (Why have internet? It's getting so one can hardly live without it. Even son's band practice is done over the internet now. No exceptions.)

So, at $250 I have to choose between medicine and other things - such as food. And what makes that so aggravating is that $150 of that bill is for absolutely NOTHING. Just showing up is worth 50 gallons of milk. I'm not sure that it is.

If the bill turns out to be $300 or more the decision becomes significantly easier. I will cancel the appointment and quit taking diabetic medicine. We can't afford to do anything else.

Can we afford the consequences? Well, let's examine that.

I have no job. Therefore I generate NO INCOME. So my loss represents a no-change status regarding income.

If I am gone there is less food being consumed. Less water being used. Less electricity.

From a strictly financial perspective it actually looks to be a good deal.

But there's more to life than money.

Unless you live in the United States of America. Then that's all there is, I'm beginning to think.

Edited:

Got a call from the clinic. The final guess they're giving is $250. So I will be going to the clinic next week.

I signed off by telling them, "Be sure to send a thank you to the governor". The woman chuckled grimly and assured me the governor's office would be hearing about all of his cuts to healthcare for the poor.

6 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

I really don't know what to say. I don't live in the US and I don't know of any charities or government agencies that would help. I can't help thinking there must be some.

I feel very worried at the idea of you coming off diabetic medication.

Bevie said...

I've given up looking for help. We got energy assistance through the winter, but that's over now.

The state run health agency is broke. Our governor cut all of the money from it and now there's no money left. It's why we can't get on the program - despite being well within the poverty line.

Life goes one. What can anyone say?

Tana said...

I hear you. I can't imagine life getting any more expensive, and as its going how can anyone afford to live a quality life?

Bevie said...

It's getting harder.

By the way, T.Anne. I tried leaving a comment on your blog but I twice got an error so I gave up.

writtenwyrdd said...

Ack, this is terrible. I really hope you don't have to make a decision like dropping meds.

Bevie said...

I just dropped my newest medication, but not because of money so much as it was making me sick.