Sunday, February 14, 2010

Who is That in the Mirror Anyway

I'm a suspicious kind of person, I guess. Have been for a very long time. And the tendency has only gotten worse as I have gotten older. Don't really much like it. But it's a matter of self-preservation, you know.

The sad thing is that despite all of my suspicions and doubts about virtually everything, I have not been immune to playing the fool. Which only makes me more suspicious.

I suppose my family taught me to be that way first. They who loved the practical joke. Anything to make someone look and feel foolish. When you played the fool in my family you got no sympathy anyone. Even Daddy and Mother laughed. In fact, often it was Daddy or Mother who put you in position to be the fool.

It was meant in fun, but it didn't always go over well. And the absence of the reverse - positive reinforcement - only made it worse.

As a child I learned a big lesson: Don't trust a good thing. It's a trick. You will look foolish.

I have also had my share of people who have feigned friendship with me in order to use me, get something from me, or just make me look stupid. Men aren't the only ones with "one thing on their minds", and women aren't the only ones hurt when the truth comes out.

The result, of course, is that I have some incredibly wonderful people in my life who I don't entirely trust. Not because of them. But because of a past filled with people who weren't so incredibly wonderful.

Not trusting others, fearing them even, means not being involved when fun things are happening. I rarely attended parties or things of that nature. And when I did I usually sat alone and watched. Still do that at family functions. I'm an observer. Not a participant.

A few times I have joined in, and usually I have had a good time. But for whatever reason, these memories are not enough to inspire frequent attempts to repeat.

I have also been victim of more than one financial scam. When I was doing well, had a job that paid very nicely, money in the bank, etc., I laughed at the scammers and shook my head at those who got scammed. How could they be so stupid? Well, now I know. It isn't so much stupidity as it is desperation. To use sports terminology, it is the Hail Mary pass at the end of the game. It's throwing the basketball (as opposed to shooting it) from 80 feet away.

Yes, playing the fool does make us wary the next time. But it also makes us wary of a good thing and good people when they come along. And if we're too wary they just keep going.

I don't particularly like being afraid and mistrustful. At the same time I don't particularly like being a fool. But my real concern is this: What is that is exactly what I am?

5 comments:

Ms Sparrow said...

I get the impression that you're suffing an identity crisis. You don't feel like you're the guy you once were but you're trapped by self-doubts. You don't trust that you will be able to create a new self-image. This notion was really forced on you by your family dyanamics. Shame on them!
They had fun at your expense and made you feel ineffectual. Maybe it's time to be bold and break out of the terrible mold they inflicted on you. (Or maybe I'm telling stuff to you that I should be telling myself!)

fairyhedgehog said...

It's sad that you were mistreated like that.

Bevie said...

I have only told half the story. Remember when I said nobody cared when someone else was the fool? Well, include me in that group. I learned how to make others look and feel foolish, too. So I am hardly without stain.

No, I'm not who I once was. Completely. The fear is still with me. And self-doubts. But I'm a better person overall. I think.

fairyhedgehog said...

Of course you did, Bevie. It was how you survived then. Now you need to forgive yourself and move on.

Bevie said...

I guess so. Two of my siblings didn't make it. Lynahr became even more crushed than me, and suffered until the day she passed away. And Ranlen is up north.

The rest of us all came out damaged, too.