Tuesday, August 4, 2009

An Unpleasant Countdown

Less than a week to go now in this house. Legally, I believe we have until some time in September before we have to leave, but the movers will be here next Monday to take our possessions away. Hopefully, they won't keep them for themselves.

When Spouse and I got married we had the ceremony in eastern Wisconsin. At the time we would be living in eastern Minnesota. But Spouse's family was where we had the ceremony. One of my close friends at the time actually drove the 300 miles one way to attend the wedding. He, my mother, and a two sisters rented a van and he did the driving. After the wedding they brought back all of the wedding gifts while Spouse and I went off to spend some time together.

Two years later my friend got married. As I walked the receiving line to shake his hand (and his bride's) he introduced me to her.

DAN: This is my friend, Bevie. We're good friends.

ME: Yes. So good, in fact, that I let him take charge of our wedding gifts. How are they, by the way?

They're really nice. The toaster's broken. It was just cheap garbage.

Wasn't that your gift to us?

Yes. I believe it was.

That's one of the things I liked about Dan. He just flowed with a joke as though he were in on it from the first. But it's been nearly 30 years since I've seen him. Life goes on and often we head in separate directions from those we care about today.

Which brings me back to the point of this post. Less than a week to go in this house. When we move we will have at least interrupted telephone service. I receive my internet service via telephone. Don't know what kind of telephone service we will have. We'll have to have something, but whether that service includes an internet connection is not known at this time. So, what I'm trying to say is that I may be on a countdown to signing off for a very long time. Possibly permanently.

In the meantime Spouse and Son are all excited and moving things early. They're in the process of loading up for their third trip in as many days. Saving the movers work next week. Just as well. They charge by the hour. How can we afford to hire movers? We can't afford not to. We are moving to a third floor apartment/flat. I get wore out just walking the stairs carrying my own weight. No one we know is able and willing to help. The cost of renting a moving truck I could drive is almost as much as hiring someone else to do the work. Besides, we're keeping someone employed. Doing our part, you know.

Myself? I have not returned to the place since we signed the lease. I'm in no hurry. Once I get there I'm not going to want to come down. It just means having to climb back up. (No elevators. This place is not exactly the Ritz.)

Fortunately, we're nearly out of furniture. Unfortunately, the furniture which remains is heavy. I have a beautiful cedar desk which weighs more than I do. We have the pool table, which nobody would buy. That's going to cost an extra $150 to move. And they won't set it up. Just as well. Son as a really nice dresser which is almost as heavy as me, and we have a nice one about half my weight. Other than those things our furniture consists of folding tables and chairs, a glider rocker we purchased when we learned Son was coming, three mattresses, two swivel office chairs, and a round bumper pool table. Everything else has long since been sold.

What we have are several dozen boxes filled with things from VHS movies to old record albums, my writing Archives, books (lots of these), knick knack things (I love these things), plush animals (I love these, too) and music cds. Basically, junk. But it's our junk. And so we keep it. As much because we couldn't sell it at the garage sale as any other reason. Which reminds me: we also have several boxes containing items from our gift business. Boy, didn't we get rich doing that?

So, I'll try to post daily through the week. After all, I may be signing off for good come Sunday or Monday.

4 comments:

Ms Sparrow said...

Oh Bevie, that sounds so final!
I really hope you won't be cut off from us for any length of time.
Maybe you can pick up WiFi from the new location?

I've lived in 3rd-floor walkups and it can be hard on the knees. It can also keep you from getting out as much as you would otherwise.

It sounds like you're rolling with the punches and your family is looking forward to the move. I'll be thinking of you in the weeks ahead.

Bevie said...

I expect I'm being a bit dramatic because I'm not looking forward to this at all.

Never heard of WiFi.

You're right about getting out. Probably won't do it except when I go to bring Son to and from school.

Stacy said...

I think WiFi is wireless Internet service.

I've lived in a 3rd floor walk-up. Not easy in the winters (our back stairs were outside).

At any rate, hope your move goes well.

Bevie said...

Thanks.